1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Superduty a death truck?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Chris-R, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I'm looking for opinions. A friend dropped by with his 2006 F-250 telling me how the front end is no good. He said if you're on the highway and you go over a bridge expansion joint, the truck "jumps" all over the place. He also said that he took it to the dealer and they said "that's the nature of the beast". Are Ford front ends that bad or is my "friend" just complaining? I'm looking to buy a brand new F-250 but surely don't want to buy one if the front end is really that bad. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

When Ford went to the coil-over springs on the front axle in 05' they have had a few problems with death-wobble. They have it taken care of now on the 08's. I am not too sure of the fix, but if you go to the ford-trucks.com fourms they can tell you there. I would not worry about buying one though.

3. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

The first thing to do is to make sure the tire pressure is correct in the 2 front tires. I replaced a stabilizer thinking it was bad only to find out that when I used a guage on the tires and inflated them to 45 or 50 on the front, my problem went away.

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

is he running a diesel ? most of front ends on any diesel truck are weak don't build them like that used too . the best way is to test it out yourself on test drive then you'll know . i really wouldn't worry about it there alot of issue that can be a factor for your buddys truck its hard to diagnose without seeing a feeling it

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have an 06 F250 xlt and I experienced the same thing, a sever wobble going over bumps. Hitting it straight on isnt as bad as going over one thats on a slight curve. Its something I got used to, It isnt all that bad, or at least mine isnt. It definitely gets your attention at first.

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

My plain jane 06 F250 long bed is a hop and skipper over bumps, freakin hang on and hope it goes straight. But, what do you expect, stiff suspension, light truck, gas truck.

Now the 08 diesel crew cab short bed lariet rides like the caddy that it is......................What bump?? Did you fell something?? Nah, that was just the bass thumping from the movie playing on the dash DVD player.......................

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

If you hadn't said it, I wouldn't have noticed it. I have a regular cab 06 and I do notice it, but I just got used to it. I don't notice it in the 07 ext though...

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It is not only the 05 and up my 99 has it to and I have replace the steering box twice and still have the death wobble when I hit a good bump in the road. The bigger the tires the faster the box wears out and also with the extra plow weight it wears out faster to.

9. Ruanolik

Ruanolik Member
    from Maine

My friends 04 f250 had the same issue, he got use to it though. My 08 f350 dosent have a problem.

10. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Guy's don't get used to it!! Get it fixed or fix it yourself!! I took mine to the dealer 3 times till they got it right. Yes start with tire pressure but don't stop there. It needed new caster bushings on the front axle (the cause), but from the bushings being out it wrecked the steering damper and scrubbed the tires so bad they couldn't realign it without new tires. And everybody knows what tires cost! That alone plus the safety factor of someone other than you ( wife , neighbor ) driving your truck and wrecking it/ killing themselves over a couple hundred bucks in parts?? should make you fix it tonite!