1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Supercab and kids

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shovelracer, Jan 22, 2013.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new personal truck. I currently have a chevy 2500HD extended cab as my personal driver, but my fleet is mostly Fords already and frankly the new chevy interiors just do not do it for me. All my work trucks are regular cabs. What are your feedbacks on the Super Cabs and the seat room particularly the rear seats. Currently I have plenty of room in the Chevy, but while looking at the Fords it seems the rear seat is more flat and small. Sort of reminds me of older Toyotas just in a full size. Car seats are my concern as is reasonable comfort on lengthy trips. For what it is worth the truck will be a 6.2 with a long bed, and total length is a concern, hence not the 4 door.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For car seats they are ok. Had a car seat in mine ,but now that that are older some times its a fight as to who sits in the front.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Supercab and kids: those words do not go hand in hand.
  4. shovelracer

Care to explain?
  5. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I have an extended cab and it works fine. I guess it would really depend on your height and needed leg room. My wife and I are short so there is plenty of room for adults in the back seat. We even did a three hour drive with two adults in the back and I got no complaints. I had a crew cab before this and didn't use it enough to care to buy another!
  6. 1olddogtwo

My last 7 SD have been SC. there isn't awhole of room for easy access to baby seats. Its doable just not favorable
  7. 1olddogtwo

I will admit I do love the look of the supercab and miss it abit
  8. shovelracer

Thank you for elaborating. I'm not sure any pickup is favorable. If I could guarantee I would never pass it down to my company or ever use it for hauling than I would just spend the same amount on a nice Audi.
  9. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

go with a crew cab and dont look back
  10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

My uncle has 2 kids with his 01 super cab. They seem ok on long trips. How much longer is the cc? I think that might be a better option.
  11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a cc 6.5 foot box we plow and tow with it always had regular cabs did not notice that much of a length difference
  12. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

From personal experience my dad has a supercab, it sucks! They kids will be fighting for the front seat. Im 20 now and its impossible to fit in a supercab when your 6' tall.
  13. shovelracer

SC long is about 20" longer than Reg cab. CC long is about 40". SC long and CC short are comparable as is SC short and Reg long.
  14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I got my 05 ford F-150, with a super cab just for the kid factor.

Love it. Plenty of room for the kid in the back. With only one kid, I can put up the 2/3rd section of seat in the back and still keep all my tools and odds and ends in there.

Then the car seat sits on the 1/3 section behind the passenger seat.

Now, I know you want a longer bed and such, but personally, as a grocery/kid getting, I'd go with an F-150 super cab with the short bed.

I like the fact that the truck still will make super sharp turns and is viable as the residential snow rig.

15. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

With the turning radius of the new Fords I would go Crew Cab...actually I DID go crew cab. Went from a crew long bed to a crew short bed. I can plow anywhere my regular cab can. It honestly doesn't feel any different other than the back window is 3ft further back. The crew cabs today aren't like the older SuperDuty trucks where you needed a football field to turn them around.
  16. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Crew cab.. Normal opening doors. Doors they(kids) can open get in/out without you opening yours. No more needs to be said
  17. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

2 crew cabs, 1 super cab

2 car seats

Used both styles a few times. Crew cabs all the way, they are just easier with kids. Plus, we can pack kids, parents, grandparents in the crew cabs and do family things if needed.
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

CC are the way to go if you plan to keep the truck for any length of time, your kids will out grow a super cab and it would be better for hauling adults.
    As far as bed length goes how often do you really need a long box and for what purpose. I've always had a long box on everything and next go around I'll do a short box when I replace my CC, a CC with a long box can be a PITA to park in town.
  19. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 kids trust me go crew cab, I have had extended cab Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge Quad Cabs none of them work great with car seats. Have a Crew Cab F-350 and it works great
  20. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

Bingo! I'm going crew cab on my next truck.