1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super V2 makes Creaking sound at top of lift, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jkski, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jkski

jkski Member

Just got done with a heavy storm and noticed my plow seems to be making a creaking sound at the top of the lift. I have heard this before with my other Meyer plows and not sure if it is something I should be concerned about or not? Can anyone shed some light on what is causing the noise?

Thanks.

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I think that is is the chain links rubbing against one another as they rotate compared to the neighboring link. You could have someone raise the plow while you stand in front and listen to try to figure out where the sound is coming from-my meyer does this, and my western did it before that, I think it is the chain. Just watch where your toes are located if you are standing near it when lifting.

3. jkski

jkski Member

Never thought of that, thanks for the quick reply, it makes perfect sense and I will check it out.
    Appreciate the help.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My Fishers used to creak occasionally. Always presumed it was the chain

5. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

My Western does this also, for me it was the chains rubbing.

6. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Ckeck the bolts that hold your push plates onto the truck.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You still have the big Meyer? How's she holding up?

8. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Yup, still have it. In the second year, I had to have both wings replaced(rib welds pulled apart) and they sent the wrong center pin and the first storm destroyed the A frame as the pin was 3"s to short. Someone else paid for that too. Service bulletin for a new breather never was mentioned and blew out the pump plus the valve body had an internal crack, so I got a new pump. All under warrenty. Basically I had a new plow coming into this year.

No complaints how either Meyers or the dealer stood behind their product, but warrenty is pretty much used up, so time to go. I had no issues this winter except a selenoid under the hood.

Love the way it plows. Just want the warrenty behind it. Changing plow brands this year as the closest dealer now is in Winslow. My dealer still supports Meyer, but are no longer selling new ones unless it is on their lot and I am not sure if they have any more. They are selling red ones now.

Looking at a new truck this year. Considering a diesel, but just don't know. A new plow for a new truck is the way to go I think. Might wait to see the pricing on the new Fisher that is coming out shaped like my Meyers, but leaning towards the new Boss DXT right now.

9. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Back to the OP. I found with my Meyers, If I change out all the hardware on the truck side, it stopped that groaning sound. They loosen up just enough to allow the plates to move. Mine were really loose the first time I found it and just got in the habbit of checking them and replaced every fall. I also switched from the grade 5 to grade 8.

I also plow about 12 hours every storm. About 35 drives with 5 small parking lots.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hadn't noticed they dumped Meyer. I'll look more closely next time driving by. I think the DXT would be difficult to beat for the type of plowing you/we do around here.

Staying Chevy?

11. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Going back and forth between Ford and GM. I have test driven the 6.7 and I am very impressed. Test driving a Duramax tomorrow morning. Going back to an extended cab short box for family reasons and to go GM, I will have to get a 3/4 ton. If I go Ford I can get a 1 ton. 2013 is the last year for GM 3/4 ton extended, gas or diesel.

Knowing how cheap I am, when it comes time to sign a on the dotted line, it will probably end up a gasser with 4.10 or 4.30 gears, but who knows. At least I am looking at all options. I am not in a rush like I was last time.