1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super strong 1978 3/4 ton Suburban w/ plow.. ready to go...

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by CyberJay, Dec 11, 2005.

1. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Ok guys, it's that time of year again. This thing is ready to push!

1978 3/4 ton Suburban. 400 ci small block, th400, np203 p/t, d44 front, 14 bolt rear.

~40k original miles!!! Mechanically this thing is great! Very reliable and strong.

It's got about a 5" lift on it with 36" maxxis tires with 80% tread. The interior is all there and pretty much perfect.

Since I got it a couple years ago I've: 6 Rancho shocks, steering stabilizers, resprung rear springs, all new brakes master cylinder to calipers/wheel cylinders, fuel pump, exhaust, I put the plow on it. Some other little stuff.

The ONLY problems with this truck: Cruise control doesn't work, I understand they all broke back then. I never tried to fix it. A/C compressor seized. It DOES hold presure, and the A/C worked when I got it, so it should just need a junkyard compressor to be good to go. The body.... It's a '78 Chevy, need I say more? It's not THAT bad yet, but it's going to be pretty bad in a couple years. For a plow truck, who cares, plow with it for 3-4 years, it'll more than pay for itself, then make it a mud truck. That was pretty much my plan, but I don't have room for it anymore.

I have a picture of it on myspace... www.myspace.com/bigjaynj I can send whatever pics you'd like. PM me. The truck is in Yardville right now.

Obviously I can't warranty a 28 year old truck, but this thing will not break down on you. It will pay for itself plowing.

Oh yeah, the plow, it's a 2000 Western Pro plow, 8'6" unimount. And I did a dual battery setup to handle it. Plow all night with your headlights on, no problem. The plow has a brand new cutting edge. Also the plow was only used in the 2000/2001, 2001/2002, and 2003/2004 seasons. The blades a little rusty but it works flawlessly.

Ok that's about it.. I'm looking for around $8500 for it.

One last thing... This truck straight up PASSED state inspection at the south brunswick station in 2003. I put stock wheels/tires on it and it sat low enough to take through regular inspection. It's also old enough to qualify for classic plates which means no inspection at all. one less headache for ya.

If you're interested, come check it out, then make me an offer. I will not discuss offers unless you see the truck though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  2. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Any interest at $7500? I need to get this thing gone!

3. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Bump again... .I cleaned up the blade today, then primer and paint.

4. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Good Luck,

Looks nice enough but at 28-29 Years old and over $7000...

All I can say is good luck.
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Too rich for my blood

Maybe if you cut that price in half I might consider it. There's no way you'll get that much for a 30 year old truck. No way at all.

Good luck though.
  6. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I'll trade u my 79 pu k10 w/ plow for it.....
  7. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

ya i think you'd be lucky to get around $5k for that, not saying it's a bad rig, it looks mint but the age is a concern...i'd say $5k is the best you'll get.....KBB value is only $3400
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I would possibly consider it at $3K
  9. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

I'd be interested at blue book value.
  10. I second that.....!!!
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't know guys. I have seen far worse rigs go for a lot more. I would say $5000 and consider yourself lucky. It looks like it would be a tank and a blast to plow lots with, but it is long, hard to see out of, and lifted. Good luck with the sale anyways!
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Count me in for the $3500 range, any more sounds ridiculous!
  13. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Selling mine too at these prices

If anyone is interested in my 2005 F250 with brand new Blizzard 810 I would be willing to let it go for $52,000.

I'll throw in the snow blowers also.
  14. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I can only get KBB to go back to 1985...and that comes up with around $1200.00.

How do you go back to 1978?
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not one to rain on anyones parade.....having said that....Here are some tips to help you sell.

Lifted vehicles are tough to sell. You remove yourself from a large sector of potential buyers. Personally, I'll never own/buy a lifted vehicle...I'm not alone.

You could get $7500+ for this truck considering: It is rust free (your in NJ, and it's a mid '70's GM product=not possible). If this were a Southwest US truck you could easily get that much for it. At it's age, brake lines, fuel lines, frame, body mounts, all start to rust.

Paint the plow! Paint is cheap and sells trucks.

Lots of pictures! Interior, exterior, engine bay, plow closeups, etc.

Then,.....Put it on Ebay.

The way it sits now, your looking at $3-4K

Clean it up, put stock tires on it, paint the plow, MAYBE $5K

But you'd need to have it 90% perfect to get $7500

I just sold my '75 last year CLICK HERE. One owner (Dad bought it new in '75), clean, near perfect plow, but it WAS rusty. Body and frame were very rusty. This was a garage kept truck for 27 of it's 30 years and STILL had the rots in real odd places.

Good luck.

These trucks are VERY good plow vehicles. They turn tighter than a reg cab pickup AND have weight over the rear!
  16. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Good tips TLS, very good!
  17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

He did say that he had painted the plow. Man, if I saw your Burban last year, I would have bought that in a second. I hope you got the asking price!
  18. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Ok, good I appreciate the feedback... I will consider offers for sure, I need money with the holiday and all. I just ask that you come look at it first.

1) Interiot is excellent. one small tear in the side of the front seat. WAY above average for the age.

2) Frame, axles, drive line, have NO serious rust. Truck was bought in WV about a mile from KY border a couple years ago. The body is indeed rusting, there is a hole in the right front quarter and bubbles in all the normal places.

3) Brakes are all new, brake lines are new, you name it. I've done a lot of work on this truck. Come see it if you are interested, you might be surpised?

4) The lift.. I hear you, I agree. I have the stock front springs, and stock pitman arm. If you bought new tires you could go back to stock rideheight with not much work.

The wheelbase of this truck is the same as a long bed regular cab truck. It's really not that bad to get around in. It's turning radius is tighter than my '04 F250.

If anyone is actually interested in paying for this truck, shoot me an e-mail: cyberjaynj (at) yahoo.com and we'll set something up.