1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

super lowballing!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Oct 6, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

lots of account turnover here in new england, people lowballing like i have never seen before, not good!
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

It happened all year with lanscaping too. Without mentioning names or companies, i know of someone bidding a lot which the management company said his bid is double of other peoples. I know what his bid is and there is no way anybody could do it for half the price and still make money. Whats happening locally is very similar to the USM thread on here.
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

As if lowballing wasn't bad enough. Now we have to deal with super lowballing. UGH Next these guys will be paying to plow.
  4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just got word that a large apartment complex I bid for around $500 per push (Accurate bid, A current employee of mine has plowed this lot many times) and $500 for salt went for $192 Per push and $745 for salt.

I would have had one of my plows handle this account, but the winning bidder will be using a sub. So an account I figured @ taking about 6 to 7 Hrs,@ $75 Per Hour, is going to get plowed by a Sub (I am sure of this, Contractor is from out of town) for $27.00 Per hour.

Great way to make a living.

5. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

unreal well they get what they pay for.the samething is happening in columbus.there is an account that i lost where the landscape company is plowing an salting for an hourly rate.putting us out of business.i dont see how the guys can do it so cheap.ussmileyflag
  6. chaos270

chaos270 Junior Member
    from CT

Don't know their costs and or the liability. If I was held harmless I could do my accounts for about half of what I charge because I wouldn't be there nearly as often.
  7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Your correct, however...I operate in Boston and South, we're getting calls through referrals,more about efficiency and equipment due to last years snowfalls amounts; many part time plow guys couldn't keep up! hope that continues :drinkup:
    Due to our economic situation with thoughts directed to leases, rentals, investors,management etc; they... want to ensure long term payers as there tenants have a leg on them. IMO
    As far as the small sandwich shops and medical offices, I'm sure there will be super low ballers to continue.
    We walked away that normally would fetch (not that we handle many seasonals)
    usually about 18k not including salt to someone for 6k. no salt. (1k a month?)
    Yeah, it S%@ks, but just keep rolling, success is just around the corner.
    Happy Plowing :drinkup:
  8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

a Lowballer is only interested in securing business on a short term basis. This happens all the time. People are in between jobs, looking for something to tide them over until the economy heats up. Its more visible now on both sides of the border. Good luck in quoting and getting work at your price.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So he is doing it for 73 dollars less then you ,right per push and salt.?
  10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Obviously he is going to do a s.h.itt.y job plowing and just salt the heck out of it with those numbers. You were outwitted in a league of morons(no offense to you).

Make sure you guve them a couple biz cards so they can call in the middle of the season then you can buy a new skidsteer.
  11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Yes, I was out bid by 73 dollars. Its not the total price I am worried about, Its how cheep he bid the plowing, and the fact he found someone stupid enough to plow for $27 per hour. My equipment operators make close to that just to show up.

I dont worry about leaving a business card, If someone is stupid wnough to hire this clown, then I will let them stew in thier own shite!!.

More power to him for his salt price, but his plowing price is what the customer sees first. And did I mention that this is a salt by request only?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  12. tinffx

tinffx Member

Around here you can't get someone to operate your own truck for that. I was getting $30 per hour in another company's trucks
  13. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I hope we get hammered with back to back to back, big events! Those people that cant find their buildings will be singing a different song when they need a machine to dig them out!
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Around here if you offer30 bucks an hour you'll have a line of trucks ready to plow.
  15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's simply ridiculous
    COSTS are about $30/hour

He's paying the main contractor $3/hour to drive for hours, get up early, etc.

I'm truly floored.

I could make more money staying in bed.
  16. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I second that. Most guys would be tickled pink to drive someone elses truck for $30/hr, but to use their own rig for that price would be very hard to find someone.
  17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

My signature line perfectly outlines the mentality of some of the idiots out there...LOL
  18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Lowballers and super low ballers.

I've been having a competition with a few other locals on who has the lowest of the low ball stories .... Each story up'ed the other the best being street signs advertising for medium sized commercial lot's for $79 a month - all inclusive. Which I thought a job bid out at $80 which the dude was going to give them $45 dollar in salt, 40 minutes of plowing and an hour of shoveling up to 10" was bad ...... :dizzy:

I don't care how bad off you are ... how can you afford this ... why not plow for someone else??
  19. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I dont understand why poeple go to work to make no money or even take a chance on loosing money.
    I can stay at home in bed and make no money.
  20. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Is that an offer???? :D