1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Oct 6, 2009.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

I have two Ford Super Duties. One is a 99 F-250 4x4 and the other is a 2006 F-350 crew cab 4x4. I have experienced the same problem with both of them and wondering if someone out there might have the answer. When driving around town we have noticed both vehicles wanting to continue to pull after turning. After making the turn you must force the wheels back in the other direction or go off the road. It does not do it all the time and has no pattern. I have check the front suspension and everything seems tight. I did notice the steering stabilizer and was wondering if it could be that, dont know much about them. I would greatly appreciate any info anyone might have as this is somewhat scary for my wife and kids to drive with this issue. Thanks in advance....

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I use to turn wrenches on State Police cars (crown vics) they had a very similar problem, when turning, the car would want to keep turning until you pulled the wheel back straight. Almost like you lost power steering. It would come and go with no pattern. Long story short it was the steering linkage (steering knuckles) they began to build up rust and corrosion preventing the steering wheel to come back easily. Hope this helps.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Spray a little Fluid film on the knuckles .

4. Brian Young

Sorry Grandview. this MIGHT work for a day or so then its back to the same ol' thing. If the knuckles are binding they need replaced asap. Its a very easy fix and fairly inexpensive. We tried just spraying them but again it only lasted a day or so.

5. redplowman

redplowman Member

Knuckles

When you say knuckles are you talking about the ball joints or the tie rod ends? Thanks for the reply from all of you.

6. Brian Young

No there is a shaft that comes from the steering wheel that goes to the steering gear box (located on the front frame rail driver side) the shaft is usually in 2 pieces and its where that steering knuckle is located. The shaft splits into 2 pieces and on one of the shatfs there is a "u joint looking" knuckles. When those are ok they should flop around without binding.

7. redplowman

redplowman Member

Knuckles

Got ya! Thanks for the info. I'll check it out

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Could be lots of things. Axle shaft U joints could be seized (even with hubs unlocked it would be hard to turn them). Ball Joints, Steering linkage, steering box. I have seen 3 trucks (1 being mine) this year have a similiar problem due to a seized front axle u joint though. All three also had destroyed the wheel hub assembly.

9. XplowX

XplowX Junior Member

i had the same problem with my 99 superduty and it was the u-joints, they were seized, and binding. it came to the point where i couldnt turn the steering wheel anyumore and i decided to change them out. Only if the factory put greasable u -joints you would never have to replace them.

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i had the same problem with my 04. ended up as binding balljoints. went to moog and never looked back! something in your front end is binding

11. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

My bet it U joints

12. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

are the hubs locked ?sometime even in 2 wheel drive when i turn tight the truck will complain a bit unlock them and no problem

13. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

There was a service bulletin back in 2000 for this which was a series of tests that ended in the replacement of the ball joints.