1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty on a Ram

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 345HEMI, Oct 18, 2005.

1. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, QC with the 5.7 in it. my question is, will the 7'6" Superduty straight blade be to heavy for this truck. the Boss dealership says it will work fine, but i am looking for other opinions. the catalog shows it's weight at 709lbs. thanks!

2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Timbrens;) Check your GAWR and GVWR. Add you unlaiden weight with everything else you're carrying (yourself, other equipment etc.). I'm guessing your curb (unlaiden) weight at 5532 and your GVWR at 6800. I couldn't find your GAWR but that's important as you don't want to overburden your froont suspension.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  3. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

thanks for the reply. the first one i looked at was the 7'0" sport duty. just for the fact that this is mainly for my own house and probably 4-5 other small driveways, but i was told that was for the smaller 4x4 trucks. i know the weight of that is only around 450lbs. then i was also looking at the 7'6" standard duty, but they were trying to sell me on the super duty. i don't think it was a money issue because there is only a $100 difference with them.

weight is my only concern with this.

7'0" sport 450lbs
    7'6" standard 650lbs
    7'6" super 709lbs

thanks again!

4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Your front curb weight is 3225 and front GAWR is 3900. 3900-3225=675. So, you've exceeded you're front rating with plow alone.:nono:

5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

There's been many a discussion here about the new, softer suspension, 1/2 tons and plowing. You're going to get more front end sag with your 1500. There are ways to remedy this (timbrens, ballast etc.). However, you need to be concerned with wear and tear on your drive components. Since you're not plowing much you probably won't have any. Ah, but if you get a taste payup and start plowing more then who knows?

6. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

thanks for the info, now it looks like i have decisions to make

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Throw on a set of timbrens and some ballast in the back and you'll be straight.