1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty Mirrors

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Misch-Rman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

Hey guys i have some flush mount strobes that i want to mount to the outside of my mirrors has anyone done this before? i tried to get the mirror cover off but it sounded like it was going to break so i stoped. Any insite would be great thanks.

2. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

It can be done...but its a real pain in the arse. Fishing the wires thru the mirror is a bear.

3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think we need to be a bit more careful of our wording here. For instance, to say that something is a “pain in the arse” might be a bit strong. After all, some people find building ships in bottles “therapeutic” while others find it, well, you know. And then there’s people with, um, “generous” asres. Should they be forced to endure more pain simply because they have more arse? I think not.

And then there’s the comment that “it’s a real bear” to run the wires. Some of our animal friends – bears (and Subaru owners) in particular – might take this comment as somewhat condescending. And lord knows we don’t want more pissed off bears running around here – particularly at 3 AM on a plow run.

There, now I feel better.

4. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Well that was interesting lol

5. Too Stroked

I was hoping you'd get a giggle or two out of it.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Too Stroked...you know your touched, right?

7. Too Stroked

I prefer to look at it as a gift, but let's not get into my political views.

BTW, I'm about as politically incorrect as it gets.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If your mirrors have the side markers on them, why not wire in a Sho-me LED flasher to them?

10. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Thats a good point! Didnt even think of that one.

11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I have a Super Duty and I would opt to go the Show Me flasher if you have the marker lights in the mirrors. I have my mirrors painted to match the truck and the thought of trying to get the covers off with out damaging the paint or covers is just not that appealing.

I tried to get the covers off before to install my smoked marker lights and thought I was going to break them so I had the body shop do it when I had the mirrors painted.

[​IMG]

12. plowguy43

Pretty simple to do, and with a Relay the signals still work as normal.

13. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

There should be a wright up by Dissociative on how to do it floating around here some where.

14. plowguy43

Member - "Grec-o-face" - was the one who showed me how to do it (along with clearance lights). He may have a write up posted somewhere.

15. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=102769

This is the original thread I started when I first did the mod.... Post # 30 has a pin-out description for the relays.

I think the thread is too old for the videos to be active though....

16. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

17. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Whoopppsss my bad. sorry about that. Thought it was Dissociative.

18. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I had them on my mirrors and I took them off it really gets to the eyes after a long night of plowing. Just my 2 cents though.

19. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

ya i dont have the marker lights in the mirror.. and i didnt think about the eye thing good point.. i guess ill just leave it alone...thanks guys

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the props......but that mirror mod is Grec-o-face all the way...

although i was the one who put it into a DIY kit form though......BWAaahahahahah