1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty Headlight bulbs?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dirt, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dirt

Dirt Junior Member

I have an 04 F250 and I want brighter bulbs.
    What are you guys using?
    Who makes the best/brightest?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

1st step is to add a relay harness to the headlight wiring. This will raise the voltage at the bulb and make them brighter.
    Headlight harness

Better high output bulbs require a harness to work correctly. JC whitney has a decent line of High output bulbs manufavturered by CEC industries. They have worked good for me over the last 10 years in many vehicles.

If you want better light switch to the 05 style headlight assemblys, They have a better pattern than the 04 style, And they look better.

Or move up to a HID setup from a quality manufacturer like
    HID conversion kit

3. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

I agree with everything he said

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The only problem with aftermarket HID "bulb" replacement kits is glare. The stock lens and reflector were not designed for that type of illumination source and that leads to a good deal of glare for oncoming drivers.

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm using the sylvania silver star bulbs. They give off a brighter whiter light than stock and you don't need to change or convert anything. As far as converting to HID. At least in PA they are illegal unless the vehicle comes from the factory with them.

6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Remember, there are Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra bulbs. They're both pretty nice as plug in replacements, but the Ultras last longer. Probably one of the easier lighting upgrades. The best bang for the buck is 9005 Silverstar Ultras in the SD Fog Light housings. (And yes I know, that's not the bulb that is recommended for that light, but trust me.)