1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty front End Rattles

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DCS MN, Feb 23, 2010.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have a 02 and 04 Super Duty, one has 99xxx and the other has 124xxx. On both of them there is a rattle that my local shop can figure out. I think it is in the leaf spring because I can feel it in the floor. It really happens alot on pot holes and large bumps.

Please help:confused:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bushings for the stabilizer bar?

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

sway bar links

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

LOL just ask Stroker79 about the rattle he has been chasing for years... A basically whole new front end and hes still got the rattle.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Sway Bar Bushings.

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

end links, mine our done again

7. mtk469

mtk469 Member

My 99 had a rattle that sounds similar to yours. I changed the sway bar links and bushings and made sure everything was all good and tight. Sound went away and hsn't come back yet.
    JUst a thought.

8. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

The same thing I was gonna say!

9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Did any one mention sway bar bushings:blush2:

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was just about to mention those. Oh what the heck..possibly sway bar bushings?

11. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Muffler bearing rubbing on the canooter valve.

12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah I have the same issue. I did the bushings and links. Twice. I did the energy susp ones first. And I later changed out ti brand new oem links and bushings. I also had new spring packs installed. But it wasn't that. I have tried changing out the main hub units in each side TWICE and yes the $400 a peice hubs. I have changed out all the seals and bushings and outer lockout hubs. I have changed the axle joints and the ball joints, all of them. But you described the same noise and feel I have however I can feel it on any bump. Oh I also changed the steering gear box, the track bar and all the steering links. Pluse the outer axle shafts. I am getting ready to drop it off at a pretty reputable shop and hope they can find and fix the issue. The 99 ford I'm selling is tight and drives perfect with no rattles and has 200k on it. Very frustrating. I feel your pain. Oh yeah I replaced the shocks too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

....Sway bar bushings / links.
    I did mine with an Energy Suspensions kit. Both front bar bushings and both sides of link bushings, $32. Plus my *free* labor.
    Oh, and they're red now!!!! ooooohhhhhhhhh

14. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Giggle pin or muffler bearing.

Actually what everyone else is saying....sway bar bushings.

15. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

ditto to what the rest said

16. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Mine was loose front bumper bolts. Drove me nuts for months. Amazing that the sound carried that far but it did...

17. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I sure hope it's swaybar bushings for the op because wouldn't hope my issue on my worst enemy. And my
    front bumper is nice and tight.