1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Super Duty 8' Trip Edge won't lift until cylinder warmed up. Left/Right work fine

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by northnhbigguy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. northnhbigguy

northnhbigguy Junior Member

Bought new Super Duty 8' with trip edge. After install and outside in cold (7 Degrees) plow would not lift, could click it up 1/4" at a time but when dropped again would not come up. Right/Left Angle work fine. Took back inside garage and worked fine. (Shop 1st time)

So dealer call Boss Tech which request replace the lift solenoid. So this has been done, and low and behold still does NOT lift. (Shop 2nd time) Only if apply some heat to the lift cylinder.

So big storm coming need this to lift and doesn't, so place plow in air (Up position) on blocks to see if bad spot in cylinder, nope, when goes to the ground won't lift. So try something other that heat, drive down the road 10 miles in up position and low and behold lift works. So called the shop again (Dealer)
    This time Boss tells him never heard of this happening, thinks may be a resistor in the line, so Boss wants my plow so can have it when NOT working and do some electrical tests, as the cylinder should lift if frozen as very powerful. So off to the shot for (Shop 3rd time). Good thing is the dealer going to give me the plow off his truck while diagnosis mine.
    Remember I said this plow is brand new, (December 15th 2010), Not feeling good about this purchase.

So has anyone else had this problem and a solution for it? Once it starts lifting then it is fine unless it sits for a couple of hours. Not sure if the cold is playing a factor or not. Live in Northern New England so its always cold, but BOSS should work in the cold. Like I said before the entire time the left and right angle work fine.
    Thanks

2. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

sounds like a fluke to me.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Uncommon issue indeed but it sounds like your dealer is a little green behind the ears as well. Two minutes with a pressure gauge in the the lift cylinder hoses would have revealed the issue quickly.

4. northnhbigguy

Update Today

Well today was just another great day, was -5 degree and it took 25 minutes before the plow would lift at all. So after this I headed to the dealer, who gave me another plow to take while they test out mine for the day.

Guess what, at 7 degrees temp today that loaner plow would not lift at all either for about 7 minutes, however after the truck warmed up it started working fine. Again during the not able to lift time, it would angle left and right just fine, just no up/lift.

So guessing something wrong with the truck wiring, solenoid, or relays who knows, anyone yet with this issue?

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Maybe a bad controller or some wiring shorted out causing the wrong solenoid to actuate.

6. White Knight

White Knight Member

1. Did you check the bumper plug for a good connection? The cold makes them very difficult to plug in
    2. Does the pump motor run when you try to lift the plow in the cold? If a tech told you to replace the solenoid I would guess no.
    3. If so does it dead head or is it free flowing?

7. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Sounds like the plow is just fine, swap controllers and wiring, double check everything you did.

8. northnhbigguy

Well thank you all. The Controller was the issue. How odd, but that was it. Boss gave me new control head and finally ALL is good.
    Thanks for your input.