1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sundays storm kicked my butt....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I never changed my tires like I was going to and got stuck 4 times each time took me from 30-60 minutes to get my self out. I have about 700# of ballast right infront of the tailgate as well! Visibility was very poor and my windows are tinted 5% all around. Sliding backwards down a driveway my drivers side rear tire hits a small stone wall at just the right angle to pop a 1" hole on the side wall..... Another hour later I got the spare on. I had to turn work down because I knew I coundn't get up their driveways.... I finish my long day and call town fair tire and had them order me 4 cooper discoverer M+S and 4 wheels. The cost is just under $1000 for the set installed and out the door...
    What a day....

2. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Sory for your bad luck. You'll make it back with the next snow.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Now lets hope we get another significant storm.
    I too found out in this past storm that Just any tire won't do. I have a set of Goodyear trackers on my 85' 2500 and they don't grip worth a Sh8t. The tires I should've had weree on my backup truck Go figure.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

sounds like my day...got stuck at least 3times in my small truck 4 times in a f250, then my shovelers didnt want to shovel...then with two houses left im plowin out the front of thedriveway when the u joint broke that conects the rear drive shaft as the truck is still in gear...had to wait 45mins to get someone there and it took another 35mins to get my truck moved...then i went back to the shop about an hour later got my truck to go home and a guy calls me tellin me something wasnt plowed so i had to go do that...then my buddys plow fell off his truck and broke so i had to do his plowing which wasnt bad....two driveways and two parkin lots...got stuck in one driveway the one parkin lot was done dnt know why and the other had a car parked in the entress so i couldnt get in to it...so we are both sh!+ out of luck

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

:D I've got bad tires too, but was able to get by fine. I run about the same amount of ballast as you, or a couple hundred pounds more. At times I was wondering if I might be better off with less. Once all that weight starts slipping in the wrong direction it is tough to get it to stop. Tire chains that aren't very aggressive would have been nice in a storm like this. Enough for good gripping, but not so aggressive that they ripped drives up and make the ride awful.

6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

big storm/big work

We just finished the site removal tonight, 17 inches here! payup

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I still wonder why you guys want THE BIG STORM. What is wrong with a few 3-4" snowfalls. It has to be hell on the truck and plows and your route has to take twice as long and everyone needs out because they ran out of milk that they just have to have.

Atleast it is only a tire and not major body damage.

Bet it takes 2 days to recover. We had 15" in 48 hours and I was done for 2 days.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your right after a few BIG STORMS those 3-4 in snow falls look a lot better!But I guest they'll learn .

10. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

That's the first I read something like that about Coopers. It doesn't mention the M+S tires. At least they are recalling them tho unlike Firestone who denied having issues till they where proved faulty.

I will be replacing my stock tires with Bridgestone Revos. I'll have the tire shop beat Tire racks price on them next month.

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Around here the 3-4" storm don't generate much new business. Many have those hubbys with tractors that want to do their own stuff. If I had more commercial accounts I would love those 3-4" storms. Right now I only have 3 commercial accts tho and when it only snows 3" those are usually the only ones I could plow. Many out here also have big SUVs and this is why I am liking the larger storms. When people call me for residentials most want a 5-6" minimum. I obviously want a 2-3" minimum but they know what they want and I can't change them.