1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Summertime overheating

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by daveco, Aug 1, 2006.

1. daveco

daveco Junior Member
    from ks

Hello everybody, I found this site while web browsing. I have a 96 1500 4X4 with a 318. Just bought it about 3 months ago and now that it getting around 95 and up my temp gage is showing 220 to 240. I don't think this is good. It's a gradual increase not zooming right up there. I changed to a 160deg therm. and no change. Added a oversize tranny cooler and no change. Washed bugs and dirt out with a hose and no help. The fan clutch seems to work. I haven't taken the radiator out and had it cleaned yet. Wanted to see if anybody has had a problem like this and what it was. Thanks David

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would say to flush out the radiator. It sounds as if not enough coolant is making it through the truck. Does this mostly occur on the highway? I drove 250 miles yesterday in my Chevy 1500 and the temp was around 97-99 the whole way. Never went above 40% on the temp gauge with the AC full on.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

First get rid of that 160deg thermostat and install a 195 deg one.
    Your Eng will burn gas as efficiently as it can at 190 deg.

Have you cleaned (flushed) the cooling system.
    Is there fresh coolant in it? at what ratio?
    Then I would be looking for a new water pump

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  4. daveco

daveco Junior Member
    from ks

the truck runs hot in town or the highway. All though I've noticed that when I'm going into a head wind, it does run a little cooler by about 10 degrees. I have planned to take the radiator out and have it cleaned and put back in the 195 therm. As for the water pump, I thought that they either worked or didn't?

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Is it leaking any water anywhere?
    How old is the cap that is on it?
    While the radiator could be the problem, I would start by changing the cap (16lb vented cap) fill the over flow bottle to full put a 195 in there. If it still heats up then check flow of the radiator and put a new pump on there

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Water pumps... Think about it ,,it's driven by the belt, so it's always spinning, Some don't even leak out of the weep hole when they go. what happins is the pump cavattes(sp). The damaged fins or wobling shaft, cause an air pocket to develope in the pump, so it can not push any coolant

Is it loosing coolant any where? look closely around the pump and behind the pulley.
    Pulling the radiator to flush it is unnecessary it can be done in the truck.
    It is better to flush (clean) the entire system, there can be sediment in the engine and heater core too

Is the fan clutch kicking in?

7. daveco

daveco Junior Member
    from ks

I can find no water leaks. The overflow bottle stays the same level. No leaks around the pump. I've replaced a lot of water pumps but never had one that cavatates. I'll change the cap tomorrow and fluch it next week. Thanks