1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KFX450RXC, Feb 21, 2015.

1. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

We winterize irrigation systems. So I'll summerize my plows.

I have a Meyer Drive-Pro on my front end loader. I have a Polaris Glacier Pro for the Sportsman. Down here in NC, the storm earlier this week stands a good chance of being our last one. I still have the plows mounted just in case but I washed them up pretty good today in anticipation they get to take the rest of the year off.

If so, what's the best way to keep them ready for next winter? As I said, they've been cleaned up good since NC uses so much brine. But is that all? Maybe a bath in WD-40 or anything else? I just plan to put them in the corner of the barn and maybe throw a tarp over them.

From the Pros up north, what else?
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd stay away from the WD-40 and give fluid film a try (can be picked up at Auto zone) I like to loosen my springs up, give them a good spray of fluid film, I'll touch up any scratches. Put dielectric grease on all connections, and I'll change out my hydro fluid.
    I also wash my plow after every use.

I wouldn't throw a tarp over it, a tarp traps moisture in it.
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

^^ sounds pretty good.

WD40 would be absolutely useless. Its way too volatile and won't stick long enough to be worth considering. As an alternative to FF, if you have a bucket of wd40 (as opposed to spray cans), it is a good solvent for a heavier oil (like a motor oil), which could make it easier to spray.
  4. H.M.R

H.M.R Junior Member

Waste oil in a sspray bottle and spray hethe blade down, cap any hydro lines, di electric grease on any electrical connectors, when storing blades keep them on blocks not on the ground
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Well... depends on the ground you sit it on. If its soft ground like gravel or dirt/lawn, it probably wouldn't hurt to lift it. If its hard ground like cement or asphalt, there's really no point in lifting it up.

Note that waste oil is acidic, and can actually contribute to corrosion. Recycled motor oil is dirt cheap. Mixed 50/50 with wd40, or better, CRC 5-56, it will spray through a hand sprayer (i.e. windex bottle).
  6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Any attachment (including plows) should be kept off the ground. How ever you do it it's up to you. Use a rust neutrilizer then paint. Used motor oil should work fine to slow the rust, its easier than painting. Bear greeze on the connections. You're ahead of the game by keeping every thing in the barn.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Tarp over the top of the plow won't hurt anything, and I wouldn't bother changing the hydraulic fluid until fall, condensation will build during the warm months, so you'll be wasting money with unnecessary fluid changes.
  8. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I also change fluid in the fall but boss recommends doing it in spring.
    I loosen all springs, fluid film everything, and paint any bare metal.
    I also have it off the ground on just a couple 2x4.
    I dont cover it either. It isn't in full shade but not full sun either so it doesnt get baked all summer.