1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Summer work for skid.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Mar 5, 2010.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

This might be in the wrong area and sounds kind of stupid but I figured it could not hurt.
    I have done custom farming since I was 14. Right now the hay market is down and it's looking like I am going to loose over 30% of my customers for this season. I bought my skid for using around the farm and plowing snow, it is one of those pieces I don't have to have but I will never sell it. I am looking to find more regular work with it this summer to make up for the slow hay business. I am just trying to figure out where I would be able to get the most work for it (dirt work, trenching, demolition, back fill at new construction). I don't mind having to invest in some more attachments to keep this thing busy. What do you guys think? What do you guys think would be the most beneficial for advertising? With the farming almost all of my new customers come from word of mouth.
    Thanks everyone.
    Robert

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Wrap the season up with some sweeping? you can just rent a broom. Thats what I do. I rent a containment sweeper for a few days/week and get as many of my sites as I can.
    What about talking to a landscaper and rentin out to him for bricks, rock ect? or maybe some pc work?

3. rob_cook2001

Good Idea's. I am going to talk to a friend tomorrow who stripes parking lots, I am sure he does not sweep the big lots by hand lol. What do you mean by pc work?
    Thanks, keep the ideas coming guys
    Robert

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

tracked or wheeled?
    do you have your SMM plates/stickers?
    how far are you willing to travel?

5. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

If you do demo, get flat free tires. Trust me, I have the nails in mine to prove it. I want a trencher this spring. I also use the hell out of my auger. I have a concrete breaker also, but concrete work is hard on machines. With a 300 you can throw on a pallet fork & just pick the driveways up & drop them... Just some ideas, I'm looking at my options also down here.

6. MIDTOWNPC

I mean like maybe you can rent it to a landscaper for some part time work where you just charge him to a flat rate where either you do the work or he does it. Eg you leave the machine there and he can use it for the job and you pick it up when he is done and charge so much. Or maybe he could give you so much to do this part of the job while he works at another site. I dont use mine all summer. I rent it here and there to a few guys... most already have machine but they are tied up and they want to start the next project... so I haul mine to their next job and they bounce back and forth while things get delivered ect. this way they dont have to move the machine 10 times or stay at one place.

This year I think I can line a few up where I drop the machine and leave the dump trailer.
    They can fill it and I can haul it out then pick up the machine later.

Just make sure you have insurance on the machine, and make sure they have coverage on a rental machine.

Calculate your rate based in comparison to what the local rental place charges and what you need to have for your machine. Remember its going to be a huge time saver for a guy if have a bunch of attachements also.

I have forks, a tree/rock spade, buckets plus dump trailer

7. MIDTOWNPC

Before I had a dump trailer I actually did sweeping and then put the sand in my salter. I just layed a better screen on top and caught any garbage.

8. rob_cook2001

A wheeled S300.
    I do not but If it gets me work I will go get them lol.
    I am use to traveling for everything. It all depends on how much work but Ill drive 40-60 miles one with out a problem.
    Do you need some help Brian?

9. rob_cook2001

Thanks for the ideas and it would probably work good. But i know how most guys operate skids and I could not let someone beat the HE!! out of my machine lol.
    Robert

10. LoneCowboy

Sometimes i do
    I might, or i can recommend for people who need grading, etc, stuff that we don't do.

sometimes I get massive jobs where i just need help moving stuff. (tracked would be better, mine is wheeled, sometimes it gets stuck and it's going to be bad this spring, it's a mess out there)

this is why we need to all get together to network here in CO. some of us do different things and don't compete, some of us cover different areas, etc. But I go all over (Franktown to Wellington) and people always ask me for this or that thing and I know some people around me, but not in other areas.

You have to have SMM plates in Colorado to use machines commercially off your own property. (yes, even if they never go on the road, boy was I mad, still am)
    Big bucks BTW, prepare to poo a brick. The fine is double the fee.

11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Id be up for a get together / networking meeting. Whatever it takes for us all to stay self employed...

12. LoneCowboy

well, let's pick a day and a place and make it happen before it gets crazy busy if spring ever actually comes.

13. rob_cook2001

Sounds good Brian. Anything I can do to support my farming habit lol. I am up to meet but the weekends are hard for me. I am free every day this week though.
    Robert

14. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

After I got my first skid, I told my wife I was doing the handyman stuff just to support my skidsteer habit... I actually have stuff scheduled this week, GASP!!!

15. rob_cook2001

I actually worked yesterday, hauled and placed a bunch of 900-2000lb boulders.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Did you "haul & place" them into something resembling a "wall" or a "pile".:D

17. rob_cook2001

Yes a Hauled and placed them into a few piles, or you might call them clusters lol

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, some landscapers around here call that a "retaining wall"!!:laughing: You get a few of them with your new $500,000 house.
    Sad, but true.

19. rob_cook2001

Haha, maybe if it's retaining the dirt under it.

20. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The SMM thing is very important to the State of Co, and the county of (wherever you are) as well. This is how you pay your ownership tax. You are not even allowed to transport that skid without one. if caught your machine can be impounded. Agricultrural units are exempted. If you ar eusing yours for anything other than AG (like SNOW REMOVAL) you are at risk. You can go to the DMV and request a quote for the tax. It has been a while since you purchased it so there probably will be a penalty. I can't remember if they will expect you to pay the arears or not. You may be able to avoid this by changing from AG to commercial but (if I remember correctly) AG is also sales tax exempt. If you change over to commercial use you may have to pay the sales tax. Taxes are a *****.