1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Summer tires

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by peteo1, Jan 13, 2016.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for a set of tires for the summer. Been shopping around for a tire/wheel combo that will look decent and the tires will give decent wear. I found the wheels I want just need to pick the tires. They come with falken wild peak a/t but honestly ive never heard of them. I can upgrade to the following:

Kumho road venture at
    Nitto terra grappler
    Cooper discoverer at3

Kind of leaning towards the Nitto's but I haven't exactly made my mind up totally. Any opinions?

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

How about a size so we can give you opinions that actually matter.Thumbs Up

My truck has 16" rims. Most newer trucks, however, do not......

Is it snowing by you ?

3. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

The Falkens are a really great tire. The Nittos and Coopers will be virtually the same. THe Kumho... not so much.

Personally, I would keep the Wildpeaks.

4. peteo1

Yeah size would help huh? I was thinking something around a 305-65-18. Wheels are 18x9

It snowed the last couple of days but nothing too bad. Mostly 3-5" at a time. Made for nice easy pushes. Supposedly we have a good bit of lake effect coming this weekend

5. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Im partial to coopers but thats just me.. Always had good luck with them.. Nitto's are ok too but to me dont seem to provide as much traction.. Are those the only options you are gonna go with? I honestly really like my toyo open country at2's.. Provide great all around traction

6. peteo1

Those are pretty much the only options on the tire/wheel combo I'm looking at. Toyo was an option but its a really pricey option and I dont want to spend that much extra honestly

7. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Well with 18's might be a little more. I got mine online for 199 a piece load range E in 285/75/16. They were cheaper than the bfg at's and cooper st maxx

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The summer tires I was going to tell you about dont come in that size, as I can't refer to what I've used.

Send the snow this way.....huh ?

9. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

My Stock Firestone Transforce HT's are a great Summer tire cause basically they ride smooth & that's all they are good for! Lol

10. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

11. peteo1

Forgot about this thread but I ended up getting a set of nitto terra grappler 2's. Pretty happy with them so far. Nice ride and little road noise

12. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I like my stock Firestone trans force HTs for summer.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Still running my BFG T/A KO, the new compound\design. They were fantastic this winter and are wearing great, far better than the old compound.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Once my winter tires are too worn for good snow traction, I just use them for my summer tires, then I spend the money on another good set of snows.