1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

summer storage tips

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KIVALO, Mar 31, 2013.

1. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Happy Easter, all!

I searched several times under various search terms but nothing came up, odd if you ask me. But anywho...

This was my first season with a plow on my truck and I'm not certain what I should do to properly store the plow.

Its a Western HTS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brad

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Block it up, off the ground, loosen the springs, fluid film everything.

3. D&JsLawn

D&JsLawn Member

What he said. And dont tarp the power pack.

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

what they said...I also tarp mine, but very loose;basically just over the top of them to fend sun and weather off.

5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Should we ff if its being stored in the garage???

6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Subscribed

7. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Regardless of the plow being inside or out, its probably a good idea to spray it. We also put dielectric grease in all the power connecting plugs.

8. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I was just thinking about getting the gallon and the sprayer they have instead of buying the cans. But thanks Ill have to spray it in the next week. I had ff on my blade the whole winter got sprayed after each time. I love ff stayed on my blade pretty much the whole winter. Is it bad to fill the truck side connections all the way up with dielectric grease ?

9. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

When we store them for the winter we wash them with salt-a-way, put them all up on a pallet, band them, dielectric grease all the plugs, and put old grease cartridge tubes over the cylinders. we also store them under cover between two land/sea boxes

10. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

This may be a dumb question, but why ff the plow? My Fisher plow is 10+ years old and it's rusty but this doesn't seem to impact anything. I only plow my own driveway. Am I missing something important? Thanks, guys.

11. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

This may be an even dumber ?? than asking about ff'ing the plow blade but what the hell is FF anyway? Im guessing not wd40 or the like?

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

FF. fluid film. Site sponsor. Look it up, good product, been using it for years even thou its very overpriced in Canada and we get lame excuses why. (yes its a dig and I know it)

13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Yeah its like WD40... Its a lubrication spray that is non- corrosive and really keeps everything lubed up well.. You just have to use it your self to really see it in action! Its good stuff.

And No its not bad to fill the truck side connections with dielectric grease. DiElectric grease is typically a silicone grease. The great thing about silicone is it doesn't react (i.e. corrode, melt, damage) with other materials. It's also completely hydrophobic, so it won't ever mix with water. Minimizing the possibility of any corrosion to happen in the plow connectors..

14. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

Thanks!

(need 10 characters to post)