1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

summer MM2 mount uses? accessories?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ontario026, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Does anyone make any accessories for the front of the a truck with MM2 mounts for summer time use? I know fisher makes the push bar, but I was thinking more along the lines of a front ball mount for moving trailers around...

Matthew

2. josh9410

josh9410 Member

i do not believe that anyone commercially produces one, however with a little bit of time one would not be that hard to produce if you have a welder and a little bit of know how

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

whats wrong with the ball mount on the back of the truck?

4. pyro

pyro Junior Member

We make one, called a "stephitch" check it out at "wardfab.com" goto products and click the link

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I put a flower box on the front of mine

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check what's legal in your state before buying anything- the Fisher tube is legal in MA, but Ward's step may not be, I think it extends too far.
    MA requires all lift arm assy's on non MM style trucks removed from the truck in April!
    There's not much out there for accys. I've been planning on making a grill guard or tube like guard myself for a few years.... still planning....just not much DOing ;>

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

There was a post here a while back, when Fisher had the promo giving away a plow, didn't someone here make an attachment that allowed for a 3 point hitch. I remember a video of a pallet jack, a york rake and a grader

8. pyro

pyro Junior Member

I agree to that statement of "check with the legal issues first..." however our step really dosen't stick out that far, maybe 6" or so past the bumper face...

9. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Leave it to MA :dizzy:

10. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Pyro, the details on the web site are not very clear, is it made specifically for the MM2? What kind of cost? is it available without the diamond plate? All I want is basically a hitch that uses the MM2 brackets..

Thanks
    Matthew

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i wouldnt want to do much with them because if you break or bend one of the plates, i highly doubt your warranty will cover it. But, if your no under warranty, have a party and do something crazy

12. BigDave12768

I am not sure thats a law. i thinks it an insurance regulation. I know lots of people that drive around old trucks with a Speedcast set up during summer months

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I wish it was insurance- MA State legislature passed it- it's ticket-able, and with the state budget low, it will be enforced this year.

Pyro- no ill thoughts intended to you or your product, just would hate to have some issue like that, especially with you being so close to the state and being that it is a little known law. I expect them to go after those frame hitch carriers things next.

Someone did make a 3 point hitch adapter to replace the moldboard and use the lift frame- it's posted here somewhere. Aside from something like that, if you bend a push plate outside of an accident, that's an achievement! I regularly use them for anchor points for chains to pull things.

14. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i bent one of my push plate "ears" one time... I did not have the passenger side pin engaged all the way once. I lifter plow, it raised and then as I was driving the whole thing dropped and the truck kept going,bending the ear at about a 45 degree angle.. had to drag the plow back in reverse to my yard... they do bend when pushed the wrong way

15. BigDave12768

Did you buy the whole the whole set up, or just one side?

16. BigDave12768

"Chapter 90: Section 19K Hitching Mechanism

[ Text of section added by 2004, 149, Sec. 142 effective July 1, 2004. See 2004, 149, Sec. 428.]

Section 19K. For the purposes of this section, the term "hitching mechanism'' shall be defined as the lift cylinder and the lift arm. Nothing in this section shall apply to state, county or municipally owned or operated vehicles. Between May 15 and October 15 of each year, any vehicle with a gross weight of less than 26,000 pounds which is equipped with a plow shall be required to have removed the plow and hitching mechanism used with the plow. Vehicles equipped with an apparatus that allows the hitching mechanism to be folded flat leaving no protruding surfaces, shall only be required to have the plow itself removed; if the hitching mechanism is in the folded flat position while the vehicle is in operation. If snowfall occurs before October 25 or after May 15 vehicles subject to this act may be re-equipped with the plow and any apparatus necessary for clearing snow. Vehicles shall be required to abide by this section within 72 hours of the conclusion of snowfall.

Any individual found operating a motor vehicle in violation of this section shall be issued a warning for the first offense, shall be fined $250 for the second offense and $500 and revocation of the vehicle's registration for the third offense. The revocation of a vehicle's registration due to a third offense shall remain in effect until the time as the vehicle is in compliance with this section. This section shall not apply to hitching mechanisms which are permanently affixed through welding or other means, before the effective date of this section. However, it shall be unlawful, and punishable by the fines and revocations, for any person to permanently affix through welding or other means a hitching mechanism governed under this section after the effective date of this section.

The registry of motor vehicles shall, within 180 calendar days of the effective date of this act, develop a list of makes and models of hitching mechanisms that fold flat leaving no protruding surfaces. The registry of motor vehicles shall promulgate and implement regulations governing a system of verification whereby the registry of motor vehicles can ensure a motor vehicle's compliance with this section following a third offense".

17. BigDave12768

Seems like they just want the lift cylender taken off

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Nope- anything protruding from the front of the vehicle. They're concerned about the push plates, lift frame, anything that can enter the passenger compartment of a vehicle in an accident. If I remember correctly this stemmed from an accident involving a plow truck in the off season with a Fisher type Speedcast type lift frame attached (as normal) which resulted in the death of the occupant from the plow frame defeating the anti intrusion beams in the car door.
    Essentially, I interpret it to mean the lift frame has to go (MM style or fixed style) as they are detachable, but the push plates can stay as they are considered perm. I have not seen law to confirm but I have not seen any old school Fisher mounts on truck in the off season the past several years either and they were very common around here.

Thanks for finding that Big Dave.

19. pyro

pyro Junior Member

I think I will just ask a DOT cop, bc all that really matters is how the police interpet the law...

20. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thats gonna be a pain in the a$$ for some people. but what about grille guards?