1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

summer = a/c?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, May 20, 2001.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Hey fellas:
    I'm down here in southern Louisiana and its getting to be summer time again. Both my trucks lack a/c they have the controls they just both need a whole new system especially the 82. I dont mind having the fresh air too much either its just sitting in daily traffic....yeash! My question is to anyone else out there running the luxary of a/c is has anyone converted from r-12 to 134a? The only reason I mention this is that if all the a/c components are gonna have to be replaced anyway why not convert it over so that the next time it will be cheaper to fill / fix?
  2. a87ss305

a87ss305 Junior Member

By all means convert to 134A if you have to replace most everything anyway, especially with the price of R12 being so high. Just do a really good job of sealing everything up. The molecules in the 134A are actually smaller than the ones in R12 so it will leak out easier. I converted my 87 Monte Carlo SS from R12 to 134A using the NAPA conversion kit. Make sure you use the correct kind of oil it does make a difference. The only problem I have is that is has a very slow leak that I have not been able to track down and I have to recharge every spring. But the system cools just as good as it did with the R12.