1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions requested for warning beacon

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theholycow, Dec 9, 2002.

1. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I need some sort of warning beacon or strobe lights for my truck. It's got an 8x12 dump stake/rack body that sticks up about a foot above the cab. It receives roof shingles stripped and dropped directly from the roof when it's not plowing, so the light needs to be removable or _very_ well armored.

I've considered a regular magnet-mount rotating beacon, but it won't be visible from behind the bed. I've considered two, temporary-mounted on the tops of opposite corners of the bed, but it may be too expensive, plus I'm not sure what sturdy kind of mount I could come up with. I'd like to do something with one of those things that causes your parkings lights to alternate side-to-side flashing, but I'm not sure where to get one, and my taillights are not suitable for it (due to position and design).

I can't be the first to have this issue...what solutions have others come up with?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

check galls.com they have all kids of public safety toy's
    strobe light's revolving light's you name it they have it

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

JCWhitney sells an alternating flasher kit, not a strobe, just flashers.

I have a North American Signal brand strobe on my truck. when money becomes in excess for me (yea, right) i am thinging about a minilight bar from Target tech. as for your durability, you could get a strobe and install a branch/brush guard on it, i know ECCO makes those.

JC Whitney

North American Signal

ECCO (Electronic Controls Company)

4. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Ok, how much money are you looking to spend? If you 360 degree
    warning, and dont want eneything to get smashed, the lights may have to be interior or no where they can get dammaged from
    the top. I would say some hide away strobes in the turn signals.
    2 oval strobesto the rear and 2 to the side mounted on the dump body. I know you said it had to be cost effective. ORRRR you could
    mount a strobe beacon to the dump in the center and get a cage for the strobe beacon! Ill list some sites for you!
    www.sirennet.com
    www.emergencylightinginc.com
    www.lightbars.net
    www.publicworks.cc
    www.elightbarsforum.org
    I would recommend sirennet or publicworks! Look into the super strobe by whelen!
    thanks!

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Removable Small Light Bar

Have someone fab you up a flat mounting plate that would attach to your cab protector or top board of your stake body, then you could use the magnetic mount light of your choice. Or you could have a removeable bracket made, then you could remove the light and only the mounting pocket would stay on you truck. :rolleyes: John

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What you need is Tomars side beacons like the tow trucks have on there ramps trucks get 180 deg. but it has protection on the top.www.tomar.com

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member