1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on walk behind spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gallucci, Oct 29, 2008.

1. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

Has anyone had any good luck with a 100-125lb walk behind spreader at a good price, and is it worth an extra $200 for stainless (handle) over powder coated? Thanks
  2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

The Salt Dogg spreader I have is pretty good, just don't let the contents get wet. The tires never locked up and slid, the control mechanism worked good, and the stainless looked pretty at first.

But even though I rinsed it off after every event, it still turned blotchy. Not heavy rust, but I still think it is bottom of the line stainless. Also, only the frame and auger opening controls are stainless, but it seems the hardware and axle got left out. I don't think it was worth the extra money.

Also, even dry grainular salt sometimes clogged where as pellet mag/cal did not. It could also use a few more machine screws for rigidity in the upright., as sometimes wheelieing(sp) it to to unclog it shifts the handles, I guess you would call, unparellel. And the plastic cover needed bungys to hold it on half way trough the first season. Minor inconvenience.

All in all I think it performs well, but woul dnot recommend the stainless upgrade.
  3. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

Thanks for you time. I was looking at the Snow Dogg in the J-Thomas catalog but was unsure of the upgrade. I am trying to look around at some other options for other options for primarily landscaping application for seed, fertilizer, etc. spreaders (Lesco, Scotts). They have so called stainless frame but they do not have the "bib" for sidewalk application. Do you use it or just go slower?
  4. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I have had great luck with my earthway. I forget what model # it is but it is made for ice melt with a bigger opening for the salt to come out and is blue. I power wash mine once a month or so and before storing and it has held up great. I would save the money instead of the stainless.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i also own the salt dogg but its not the stainless version. only one complaint, i bought mine from angelos here in MI so it was assembled for me. make sure everything is tight. from the rigors of use i was dropping pieces of the thing all over the place. i lost the control arm for good, which sucks but i rigged up my own.

all in all it works :D

i also have an earthway which is not as hefty for sure but still works okay.
  6. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

Salt Spreaders

Thanks. I ordered one from amazon from a company by the name of precision products. It is commercial, 130 lb capacity and the handles do not come together in the middle which I hope will decrease twisting. I ordered the one with the salt deflector also which is supposed to be removable. Here is their website if you are interested $240.00 at Amazon.com shipping included.
  7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

mee too, lol

but i put mine together :rolleyes: but mine actually broke not just fell apart, oh'well it was a 10min fix, and my hand's can brake a crowbar in a sandbox so i am surprised it has lasted for 3-4 year's anyway's

we spread bulk with it when the salt truck is handy and bagged when it's not.

i would not spend the money on the stainless either, the darn thing is almost twice the price :dizzy:

i think angelos still sell's them for $169.......heck they are selling poly 2.0 yd for $2999 :confused:

btw here is my new spreader w/ light. i decided to hault production this year for product testing....but i still hope to bring out Mark O's shovel strobe this year thoug :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009