1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suggestions on used plows

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Greenery, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Ok so i'm looking into getting my first plow and have a few questions. For one what are some things to look out for when buying a used plow? also if I can get some opinions on a couple of plows for sale locally I only have limited info on these as I havent called on them yet but here we go the first one is a 8' Western snow plow, hardly ever used. Joystick controlled. Came off a
    2001 Chev Silverado for $2000. Next is a 8' poly meyer snow plow new cutting edge E60 pump ez tube lift mount for $1000 and it says it is in very good cond. Next is a 8' hinniker plow.with backdrag. nice shape. used 3 Yrs on f-350 for $1850 Next is a Boss 7 1/2' Poly snow plow. has smart hitch system. snow flap installed. plow is 2-3 years old $1500
    And finally a
    8.5 foot Meyer snow plow. Includes wiring harness, lights, mouting bracket, and control pad. For 1999 and up models of GMC K-2500. Great Condition - $1500 Cash

I will be mounting it on a 01 2500 hd with 4" lift and will only get moderate use this year and heavier use next year. Thanks for the input guys

STRONGARM Senior Member

The choice for me would be the western, but it depends on if you have a local dealer to service it, That is very important with a used plow. I have had most of my luck with western over the years.Good luck!
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Personally, I'd buy nothing but a Fisher, but if you can't find one in your price range I'd go for the western. meyer is just garbage from what I've seen on here. Check our ebay and craigslist for a good used Fisher!
  4. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

I'm just getting into the business as well. I purchased a used Western - but looked at others that are reputable plows also. The biggest kicker for me was the additional cost of the mount equipment for my specific vehicle....and if you search on ebay/google for different parts, etc. you can get a feel for how much is out there for a do-it-yourselfer, for the plow you are considering. (if that is something that you do). I didn't want a plow that I HAD to go through a dealer to get all the parts.
  5. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the input. What are some things I should check or pay close attention to when looking at a used plow? From what i've looked at so far none of them have been mounted to check to make sure everything works properly.
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

check it over VERY carefully look for cracked welds fluid leaks that sort of thing. honestly the brand isnt really all that importont they ALL break down they ALL have problems. i would look them all over and chose the one that is in the best shape.
  7. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

If it was me I would buy the western. I only own western because my dealer is open during storms and if some reason it breaks I can get back on the road.
    I have been involve in snow removal for over 20 years and never had problems with westerns. I have had problem with myers and fisher. Don't know anythink about the Hinker and friends of my has the Boss and they love them.

BOMBER Member

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

all are good choices but the 4" lift could cause problems. may need a custom mount

10. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i have a 4'' lift on my truck i had to lower the mounting bracket down 2 holes no biggie, b4 i did that it tripped like jimmy hendrix!:dizzy:
  11. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Greenery where are you at in MN? I would recommend a western plow
  12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i personally like fisher plows. they work well and seem to last long. around here the vast amounts of people have fishers.