1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on truck problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rabbit16, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rabbit16

rabbit16 Junior Member

This past year when all of the trees went down in the october storm all of the tree removal guys where up here in Buffalo making money and I bought an older Mack with grapple body and box for almost nothing. And by the way I dont know how but my dad and I looked this thing over top to bottom before I bought it and we couldn't find any thing wroung with it. And when I finally bought it we did an even closer in spection ie ripping the thing apart top to bottom and everything was great for an almost 30 year old truck and for being in that kind of work. Any ways This year Ive been aproched by a few people who own larger plazas and such that think they are going to need snow hauled out. In your opinion should I say yes and use my truck and possibly invest in a bucket for my truck or rent a loader for the season and use that. Keeping in mind that the trucks box does not dump but the back opens up. Or should just keep on working and going to school like normal and not make any extra cash. Your opinions would be most appreciated.

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

If you load snow into that box and it doesn't dump you're asking for a serious whooping. Imagine pushing the stuff out by hand. Go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you when the doctor asks if you have health insurance...(think heart attack).:cry:

Forget about it. Go to school, get a degree and make money the easy way...not slaving away at a business.

:nod:

3. rabbit16

rabbit16 Junior Member

I go to school full time and work at night and on week ends this was just supposed to be some extra cash. Not a full time thing and I would be able to get most of it out will the grapple but now that I think about it the snow would freeze before I could get it out so I think I'll stick with hauling wood.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

read the above post

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just curious...what's your plan for getting the snow out of the back if it doesn't dump?

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Wanna work the truck?

I'm not sure if the configuration of the body would allow for it, but if you want snow related work that is easier than trees, then how about investing in a large v-spreader? As long as you have a salt supplier to load you, then you are a one-man show. My company makes more money on salting than plowing or hauling. Just a thought.

7. rabbit16

rabbit16 Junior Member

But how do you charge for salting by the pound or how much ground you cover? That does sound alot easier then hauling trees but what size and make of spreader would you suggest.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the grapple is prob self contained or is it ran off a front pump or mid-mount p.t.o.

how many lb pair (aaxles)in the rear locker or divider only.

the make of the salter is a pretty broad Q'

9. Salting trucks

Rabbit,
    you charge for sand salt by the ton. Charge $150-$185 per ton for straight salt. Big Acres is right, there's more money in salt than just about anything else (my strong opinion) As for spreading, you can use anything from a slide in sander, to a tailgate sander, to a push spreader. Well, in the past, we used push spreaders to spread sidewalks at shopping centers. We charged $75 per 50 lb bag.
    BUT, getting back to your original question, I'd like to tell you to go for it, but I just can't. It doesn't sound like a good fit to me. The people with the plazas asked you because you had big equipment. The idea to salt is a great idea, but the customers aren't asking for that service. Your truck isn't going to work for snow hauling, and investing in a loader is money out the door with no guarantee of making some dough.

Best of Luck,

Steve

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Dutchhook, I concurr...

Your pricing is right on for this market, in fact, we have been considering bumping our prices up a notch as we are currently on the lower end of your scale. Same goes for bagged product on walks.

Rabbit, you might start by contacting some big and small contractors alike to see if their is a need for you as a sub. This might allow you to get your feet wet without managing every aspect of a business owner.

11. rabbit16

rabbit16 Junior Member

Thanks for the input I think Ive already asked one of my customers and theyve agreed to let me do the salting because they have a highlift operator who goes around and does all of their plowing. There are enough places around here to get salt, I just need to get a spreader. Im looking into maybe retro fitting an old highway department spreader for the Mack.