1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on this F-350 Please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MajorDave, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Posting here as I need some quick suggestions...

What did I do today? NEED HELP HERE GUYS cause I think its a good deal...

Went and looked at a 2002, F-350 (never owned a Ford or a diesel). Flat bed with aluminum and wood removable rails. 118,000 miles. 7.3 turbo diesel. XLT Super cab. Been serviced regularly...oil changes - new brake lines - new brakes - inside cab is very nice (dirty, but I can clean - all is great condition). I crawled under it...no glaring items. Typical rust but only on inside of doors...has not coming through. Flatbed is made by Reading. Not used as a plow truck before. Books from $12 - $13.5k...i got him down to 6500. Seems like a good deal...sometimes, these fall your way. I want to let him know later tonight...open to all suggestions and thank you...

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Better get the cash and go

3. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

check the oil pan, for rust and leaks, also check the back exhaust bolts, that's to see if the truck was running high EGTS. (Exhaust Gas Temperatures). If you do get the truck try to use rotella 5w-40, and by pass oil filter, and a coolant filter.

4. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

A buddy suggested that too - gonna go back tomorrow and do some more crawling...

5. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

Which engine? If its the 6.0 avoid it like the plague no matter the price. If its the 6.0 and you buy it you better have a pile of cash to fix the dumb thing.

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

7.3 (it says it there...)

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Speaking from experience it sounds like...and I have heard the same...

8. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

Is it the gray one on craigslist? If so then Id say its a steal for 6500! Looks clean and if your going to plow with it then its perfect. Slap a spreader on the flatbed and go. As long as oil pan isn't dumping oil you are good. For 6500 even fs its wet ur fine. Its a stock truck shouldn't have been running high egts unless had a major issue. Its a 2002 so its a 7.3 motor. HAHA I love the 6.0 comments, So untrue. Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

9. jackk

jackk Junior Member

F-350

I would buy it. Make sure it is in good condition. The Ford power stroke 7.3 runs forever. I would put a V-blade and a Ebling 8.6 backblade.:waving:

10. jackk

jackk Junior Member

6.0 Powerstroke

The 6.0 Powerstroke is a good engine. After you put a head stud bolt kit in it. And different head gaskets.

11. jackk

jackk Junior Member

Anthing to say?

Does anyone have any thing to say?

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Thanks all - appreciate it.

13. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Ignore this guy at all costs...

14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

That is a steal. In the northeast that would fetch a price around 15k. No joke. Also, a 6.0 can be a great engine. My favorite truck by far that I've had

15. jackk

jackk Junior Member

Ford f350

Ignore the guy about problematic 6.0 powerstroke. There are great. I was wondering what type of plow you are going to put on it?:mechanic:

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Boss DXT Stainless. Other truck has Boss. Love the brand and can switch out if need arises.

17. jackk

jackk Junior Member

Boss Dxt

Sweet!!! What size is it? I would like to get one for a 2008 Chevy 2500HD. Would the truck hold up? I am a ford guy though. Chevys are Cheaper.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

The truck? F-350...and yes

19. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

why ignore me? I speak the truth about that pile of junk. there are way more hater of that engine than lovers. hell dealers barely want them in trade. if you don't believe me i'll give you a list of dealers also haters of that damn thing. twice in 3 years the egr cooler leaked. my local ford dealer and neighbor says they keep him in business

20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Then block it off

They're are not hard to make reliable