1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions On Locking Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjl400, Mar 10, 2005.

1. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

I have an 8' xblade that I just spent a small fortune on. My problem is is that I have no where to store it inside during the winter. Therefor, it is outside on the side of my house where anyone with a fisher mount can hook up to it and steal it. I have no where or nothing to chain it to. I went to my fisher dealer and they told me that they do not sell locks for plows, nor can they point me to a place where I can get one. Anyone have any suggestions?????Thanks :drinkup:
  2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Those X-blades look pretty nice. I wish I knew where someone kept one unlocked on the side of their house so I could just go hook up to it. I did hear of one guy, but he is in RI. That is too far for me, or is it? :jester:

Im not familiar with Fisher, but my western (same company) has 2 holes in the mount that you pin to truck. I would try to at least run a cable or lock or something through one of the holes, at least that way they would have to cut the chain off before they could hook it up. You don't necessarily have to chain it to something, just block the holes.

Hope that helps ya some.

3. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

I get kryptonite brand locks from lowes, they are u-shaped with a black plastic coating and the piece that locks the end is cylinder shaped in a yelloe plastic coating on the end of that yellow piece it takes a round shaped key like the ones they use on soda machine locks, anyway that what I use on my meyers blades, you may have to strip a little black plastic off of the bolt to work for you I'm not sure how your frame attaches, but they are a pretty heavy type lock. Any lock can be broken but I believe they would have to work pretty hard on these. Anyway it works for my situation.
  4. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

if you are storing the plow on dirt you could cement some big eye-bolt type things into the ground and just chain the plow to them. my friend stores his trailer in a very accesible area so he cemented a trailer ball welded to a bent pipe in to the ground and just hitched the trailer to it and locked the hitch. the pipe was bent so it could not be pulled out of the ground. hope this helps.

CASMEDIC Junior Member

I have to keep my plow outside too. I have a cable lock from Kryptonite and I lock it to a tree. Another thing I do is to padlock the end of the travel chain to the lift chain as high as I can. That way, if they try to lift the plow, they can't. Just try and come up with ways to make it immobile. Fisher's hitching method doesn't make it easy to protect from someone pulling up to it and taking it, but try and find a way so if they do, it's of no use to them without some serious lock breaking.
  6. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

this is what I found to be the best option:

I put a lock on the mounting pins that way the whole plow can't be engaged if someone tries to drive in and lock the pins.
    also a cover would be great "out of sight, out of mind"
    I still haven't found a cover big enough for the plow. the biggest I found(from a motorcycle) it just covers the head gear.
  7. new2it

new2it Member

Beware of kryptonite

The once invincible kryptonite lock has been proved virtually useless. It can be picked with the shaft of a Bic pen in a couple seconds. Though any lock can be picked, this one needs no special tools or "experience" in picking locks. Just some food for thought.
  8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

We know anyone who's determined enough can steal anything, but the harder you make it for them the less likely they'll get your stuff.

I'd say put a lally column in the ground and chain the plow to it.
    A lally can be made by digging a hole at least 18" to 2 feet deep with a post hole digger, then you put a piece of 2-1/2 to 3" diameter galvanized pipe in the hole, plumb it up and pour concrete around the pipe to fill up the hole, then fill the pipe itself with concrete. The pipe should be cut to size so it sticks up out of the ground at least 3 feet, and you can paint it so it doesn't look real bad next to the house. As long as you use a cable/chain and lock heavy duty enough that someone can't use bolt cutters on it, you should be fine.

Lastly, camoflage the plow if you can with a tarp or something, so anyone driving by won't notice it. And, if your house has outside floodlights, put your plow near one of them and install a motion sensor in the light to scare off anyone who may sneak up during the night. That's about all you can do unless you want to sit in a rocking chair next to it with a shotgun across your lap. :)
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I must say, the idea of tarping it is one of the best additions you could do. Like it was said,..out of sight, out of mind. The bent pole or rod in the ground is a great idea, as we. In the very least, put a few locks through the pin holes to keep it from being hooked up to. If you turn it around (with the help of a few friends), this would slow the process down a bit, as well.
  10. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

This is my solution...

I have no garage so I have to keep my plow outside. Like you I was worried that anybody could just pull up attach the plow and drive away with it.

Here is my solution to locking my Fisher MM2:
    I went to Home Depot and bought a pretty think chain that would be hard to cut...probably about 3' long. Take one end of the chain and slide it through the A-Frame of your plow. Make sure the release handle is in the down position and the connecting pins are out. Wrap both ends of the chain around the release handle till the chain is tight. Slide a lock through the small metal loop on your release handle (this metal loop is what your Jack Lock slides through when the plow is attached to your truck). Then lock the two ends of the chain together.

What this does is it deters anybody from attaching the plow to their truck because they can't lift the release handle to engage the pins.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The manufacturer has done a recall on every lock they have ever made and are exchanging them for new style locks that do not have the issue. The news story you saw that told you how to pick them also told you about the recall.
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Correct me if I'm wrong., but with your system couldn't I just cut the cotter pins holding the spring on the mounting pins, pull them out releasing the chain from them, reinsert them and drop in a new cotter pin (or piece of whire or similar) and continue to mount my new plow? Would only add a few extra seconds to do that.

The only way I can think of to really secure a MM would be to somehow lock the jack leg down- maybe a trailer hitch type locking bolt through the leg hole below the frame so it can't be raised.
    Is theft of the plow really that much of a concern? I have never thought of it being necessary to lock up mine- when I'm home I park in front of it anyway, but even when I'm not it's just never been a concern- at least not any more of a concern than someone stealing the truck itself anyway.
  13. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I'm not following you here. The chain isn't anywhere near the connecting pins. The chain is looped through the A-Frame of the plow and then wrapped around the release handle. From there you lock the chain to the metal loop on the release handle. What this does is it locks the release handle in the down position, thus preventing anyone from being able to drive in and hooking the plow up.
  14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I hope someone steels mine I need a new one! Home owners would be glad to help with the purchase!
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ah, I get you- it's a MM2- the handle.
    If you pull the cotter pins that hold the springs to the connecting pins the connecting pins will come out of the lift frame. I'm not totally up on the MM2 with the single handle to engage the connecting pins, but once the connecting pins have been removed they can be reinserted into the frame and the pushplates without engaging the release handle (that you chained down)- replace the cotter pin and spring to hold the connecting pins in the frame and away it goes.

Sound better?
  16. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

The plow is stored on my asphalt driveway. There is no way of putting a lally column in the driveway, nor chaining it to a tree. Ican cover it up, but alot of people who see my truck can follow me home and take my plow. I will try some of the solutions posted here. Keep the suggestions comming!!! :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  17. rondoga

rondoga Junior Member

Chain your dog to it :D
  18. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Park your truck in the way of someone stealing the plow as often as you can.
  19. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

My truck is parked in front of it when I am home. My concern comes when I am at work.......There is NO WAY for me to anchor it down or put something in front of it.........keep the suggestions coming
  20. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

The driveway can only be so wide, it has to end at an edge someplace, either a wall if it's below grade or your lawn. You could still anchor something to that wall or in the ground and run a chain to secure the plow, even if it's a long one. But, that'd look crappy and if you're married and your wife's anything like mine, she won't go for that. What a few of the guys above said, chains and locks to disable the mounting system, seems like the quickest and easiest way to temporarily secure the plow so it's not possible to engage the pins.
    You might want to consider a plow cart too, which you can buy or make yourself if you're handy. These let you move the plow around with ease when it's dismounted and would maybe let you move it off your driveway around to the side or back of your house when you know you're not using it for a long time, like off-season.