1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on lighting

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kc2006, Jan 27, 2014.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I'm looking for some suggestions on lighting for my new truck. I'm looking for rear and rear/side coverage only. I don't want a lightbar because the truck won't fit in the garage, and I really don't want to do hideaways because I don't want to drill the lights and don't feel hideaways in my reverse lights would get it. I have a dump insert with a replacement tailgate salter, the salter sits out maybe an inch or so past the rear bumper, my original thought was to stick a couple tir3/6's or lin3/6's on the sides and rear section of the salter. Then I remembered I have a whelen 90 watt power supply brand new in the box doing nothing, do the tir/lin's need a supply? Are there any other heads that would utilize a supply?

What would everyone do for this situation? I'd just like to hear some options and thoughts.

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Id forget about strobes unless you want to use it to run some Whelen 500 series strobes on the rear and sides of the sander. The other LEDs will be fine and plus they have every built in. The wiring would be easier and the overall cost less as the strobes will cost much more than the LEDs as the price of the strobes has jumped dramatically.

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Id honestly do 2 hide away strobes in your tail lights and use the strobe box you have. Or buy 2 led hide aways and put in tails if you don't want strobe. Whelen vertex or phenix cannons. How about a magnet mini bar? On and off in seconds. and 360 coverage which you need. Rotator bar 100 bucks. strobe bar 100-200 bucks. led bar 200-350$. I can't comment on mounting the tir3s because I have no idea what your dump insert looks like and where to mount the lights. Have a picture?

4. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up looking at bars, I found a whelen responder lp that had just been listed on eBay for $125 shipped brand new, I thought it was too good to be true but it has the genuine whelen info on it and box. It's the permanent mount one so I'm going add magnets or build a stand for it on my dump insert that I can swing down. Either way I couldn't pass that deal.

I'm going to run this for now and possibly install hideaways when I have free time, I have the tubes already too i forgot about, so I just need the wires.

5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

The swing away mount for the lightbar sounds like a great idea.

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I have some 1" square tube and was going to bend a piece of flat stock into a U shape, drill two holes, one for a pivot and one for a pin to lock it upright.

After I thought about it I may have to bolt it to the front edge of the truck bed, since I have to lift the insert to salt, it wouldn't work for the wiring to have it on the insert.