1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on equipment purchases?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by hickslawns, May 3, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Does anyone have any opinions about what equipment is best for the jobs? I have a tow behind sweeper we use on 2 Walmarts which does fine. We may pick up a third store which would keep us from getting to all 3 within the nighttime hours. I want to purchase a different unit which could also be used in tighter quarters such as restaurants. I don't think I can afford (or justify spending the money anyway) a big unit such as an Isuzu with a big sweeper unit. I was thinking about a pickup with the bed removed and a sweeper added. There are several out there such as Masco, Scavinjer, Nite Hawk 200, and I know there are others. Does anyone use any of these? Opinions? Suggestions? I think you can get into one for around $20,000 or less, plus the cost of the truck. This seems more practical for me than spending $25k-35k for a used big truck setup. I priced a new SK sweeper on Isuzu chassis at $58k it looks nice and has no auxilary engine just hydraulics, but not my price range. Let me know what you all think about the pickup truck units. Thanks.

2. Riceyoung

Riceyoung Junior Member
    from TN

I have a 1996 Tymco 210 that works great for me and I only need 14,500 for it. Let me know if you are interested.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you can't afford an air unit like a temco 210, aircub, or the like then you are not charging enough. With only 2 full time lots which I am sure are smaller then yours the sweeper would pay for itself in less then 2 years.
    If you can get enough to sweep 4 nights a week 3 hours each you should be able to afford a good used unit for around 30K or less. The big problem I see is people trying to get to big and highering help before it is needed. Best advice I can give anyone is don't get any bigger then what you could do your self. if you have more then one operator then you also need a machanic, then you need a bookkeeper both wihich do not produce an income then you won't have time to run a full shift your self because you will need to be out drumming up work for the operators to do. Now instead of you making $100 per our for your self you are deviding up what the 2 operators ($200 per hr) between 2 operators, 1 machanic, 1 bookeeper and what is left is yours. oh yes don't forget your overhead and increese cost of insurance, workmans comp, 2 sweepers, fuel, parts, and now you will need another machine for backup. Damm ware does it end.
    1 good air unit and a tow behind for backup with only you as an operator.= more money in your pocket.

Last edited: May 27, 2005