1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suggestions for decent GLOVES

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pagelandscape, Dec 1, 2006.

1. pagelandscape

pagelandscape Junior Member
    from 48336

Hi...

Anyone have a suggestion for what brand/kind of gloves to use for shoveling & salt throwing? No matter what I get, they self-destruct after one or two uses. Should I invest in $75 gloves for my guys or just resign myself to the fact that I'm gonna have to keep buying $10 gloves & replacing them every third time we go out?

~Megan in Michigan

2. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Ironclad has "Cold Condition" and "Tundra" gloves. They're solid work gloves and made with synthetic leather, so they don't breakdown as badly when exposed to calcium and salt. I've used the Cold Condition gloves for the last two years and like them. They aren't waterproof and get wet quickly. The Tundra is advertised as water proof. They're approx. $35 and $50. You can find them at Cabela's and Northern Tool and Equipment.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Man, what are they doing to those gloves? I use the cotton knit with latex dipped palms- great grip wet or dry, insulated, cheap. Like $3.00 a pair in most places.

4. pagelandscape

from 48336

Hi guys, thanks for your comments..

fms - I'll definitely look into the Tundra gloves from Ironclad. I have to wonder - what is it that you like about the Cold Condition gloves if they get wet quickly?? I like the synthetic leather aspect of them, because I know that can be pretty durable. But isn't it kinda miserable having wet hands in freezing weather?

justme- I don't know what my guys do out there with those gloves! Sometimes I wonder that myself! We use the latex-dipped gloves you mentioned during landscaping season, but again, they get soaking wet quickly so my guys don't like to use them during the winter.

5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Whatever you do you are committing to too much here. Buy one pair of gloves per man if you choose too and if they lose them , oh well.

Then they can buy their own after that.

Ive never had an employer buy my clothing unless it was a uniform situation.

You're being overly generous. Generous is cool....good for you for doing it but theres a point in time when you have to apply the brakes.

6. LLM Ann Arbor

Its like opposite ends of the spectrum.

One guy here charges to install 40 cent driveway stakes...labor and prduct, and you are spending a grand a year on gloves for the fellas.

:)

Frankly Im more apt to go along with yourline of thinking but you shouldnt be providing more than one pair. After that....have a box of cheap jersey gloves and if they dont have the gloves and dont want to work then send em on their way.

These are shovelers and sidewalk crews Im assuming....right?

7. pagelandscape

from 48336

Yeah, these are shovelers & sidewalk crews.

I had a feeling someone was gonna make a comment about me being too generous with providing gloves. :)

I don't actually spend a fortune on gloves. I was contemplating spending a fortune, not actually doing it yet! I have no problem assigning gloves to guys, and that's what I do every year. After a storm, they leave the gloves here at the shop and I usually end up washing them. They're covered in salt & dried sweat... maybe it's because I'm a woman, but I just want to wash them! They often have torn seams from use, then I wash 'em & of course it makes them worse.

I guess I should let the guys take their gloves home & handle the washing (or not washing) of them themselves. Hell, I don't wash my own gloves after every use, why bother doing that with the company gloves?

8. pagelandscape

from 48336

By the way, LLM, I like the idea of providing a bunch of cheap jersey gloves... That's a good solution for those who don't take care of their one good pair.

9. LLM Ann Arbor

Wel the reason I say that is because innevitably they will show up sans gloves and either not want too work in the cold without them; leaving you shorthanded.

And if I know you....you wouldn't want them out there with no gloves, Mom. :)

Buy them a decent pair...I would think you can get a great pair of insulated work gloves for 15 or 20 dollars max, maybe less, then its on them.

They can double up the cheap jerseys too for extra protection but they'll get wet of course.

Finally someone likes one of my ideas here! Yay! Itonly took 500 posts.

:cool:

10. LLM Ann Arbor

And yeah....toss them in the dryer after each use if they are wet, but washing them all the time isa no no.

Im a glove person. I wear Mechanics gloves I get from Racing warehouses like Jegs or Summit and they are 15 a pair. But no glove will stay dry doing that work. They should be putting them next to the heater or defroster betwixt stops to dry a bit....not completely probably.

Washing once every so often as needed is fine.

The gloves will "Speak" to you and let you know when they need a wash. Gloves are our friends.

I wear special order tackified football receiver gloves when driving my car or whatever occasion other than work....like when I used to ride my motorcycles.

I can see you sitting there in the office sewing the gloves with their poor lil busted seams.

I KNOW you have Megan.

Admit it!

lol

11. pagelandscape

from 48336

You're right, I really hate the idea of them going out without gloves! :rolleyes: But I'm relatively new to this snow thing - my dad has been running the winter part of the business for the past 15 years and he'd just as soon send the guys out barefoot. ("They're tough, they can hack it! We don't need to baby 'em!)

Hope he doesn't see this post!! :D

Since I started getting more involved with this part of the business, I have a tendency to want to make the work as easy as it can be for our employees, since it seems like such a miserable job. But I guess they've survived this long without a woman's touch, so to speak. Probably better to leave well enough alone.

12. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah.

I've survived too long without a womans touch too but thats another thread on a different forum board.

[​IMG]

:D

PS...I hope your dad doesn't see THIS post either.

lol

13. pagelandscape

from 48336

I've never sewed any gloves with torn seams! Never!

OK I'm lying. :D

But I gave up on that REAL quick... I'd rather spend the $ and lose profits than sit around mending seams all winter. I mean, I DO have a life.

OK I'm lying about that too, but whatever!

I know what you mean about your gloves speaking to you. (Got a good laugh out if that comment, by the way!) I LOVE my Ironclad general utility gloves that Mom got me for Christmas last year. They're made for women and fit me perfectly. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at them right now, and they're telling me they need to be washed. :p

14. LLM Ann Arbor

I have a feelin if we keep this up, your gloves aren't the only thing that will be speaking to you.

;)

And remember. As much as you want to make it easy for your employees, your employees main goal should be making life easy for you as an employer.

My dad taught me that line of thinking.

But he never bought me gloves for Christmas.

15. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I use Wolverine Gloves. They are great for work and play.
    [​IMG]

16. pagelandscape

from 48336

Yes, we've veered off topic a bit here. ;)

I have to remember I'm not running a charity here. I like your dad's thinking! Smart guy, even if he didn't give you gloves for Christmas.

17. LLM Ann Arbor

Yeah it was fun.

Im here all week too.

Two shows a night and three on Saturday.

I'll put you on the guest list.

18. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok was thinking of this topic and we use HyFlex gloves but they have ups and downs.
    Pros great grip Cons the cold goes thru the nitrile
    We use them as a outer glove with a layer of cotton first then nitrile then HyFlex so three layers. We change them often and wash them after each storm. If you do any chemical applications the stuff is all over the gloves and transfers to any thing you touch.Nothing like a good mouthful of calcium or salt to make your day. Now for the hand workers we have plenty of cotton gloves for them. Lets face it gloves get wet and not one pair is the best but plenty of gloves is better. Give a guy a pair of warm gloves when his hands are cold and he's a much better worker.

hyflex.jpg

19. pagelandscape

from 48336

Fernaldude... you're suggesting going the multiple-glove route. I like that. I completely agree that a guy with warm hands works better... plus there's the humane aspect of it. Freezing wet hands with salt on them can be downright painful.

I know the gloves in the picture you posted... They're great. We get the 100% cotton blue dipped ones on ebay... REALLY cheap and better quality than actual Wonder gloves.

Anyway, I think the multiple-cheap-glove option in sounding pretty good. I'll have to talk it over with the big boss (aka Dad) and see what he says.

1lowGMC, those Wolverine Gloves look like they're tuff, but wouldn't last long getting soaking wet and covered with de-icers. I've found that gloves with that much leather get really stiff when they dry after being wet (jeez I know the comments I'm gonna get on that one LOL) and/or shrink a la O.J. Simpson.

Oh and LLM, we're just so damn funny we should charge people to read this thread! ;)

20. LLM Ann Arbor

Yup....we're a pair aren't we.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006