1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions For A Plow????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjl400, Oct 15, 2003.

1. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

I am new to plowing and I want some information. I own A 2003 F150 Supercrew with a trailer package AND the FX4 off road package and the 5.4l V8 engine. The vehicle has a GVW of 6750 and a GAVW of 3600 pounds. I want to put a plow on the truck to do some driveways in my neighborhood. I was told by my dealer that I can put a light duty plow on it. The truck DOES NOT have a snow plow prep package on it. I want to do small driveways in my neighborhood to make some extra money. Any suggestions that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Do you have any snowplow dealers near where you live? If so, who are they? Fisher just came out with a light duty snowplow called the HomeSteader. Western also came out with one called the Suburbanite. Western and Fisher are somehow related. Sno-Way also makes light snowplows, those clear lexan ones. Im not sure of Sno-Ways website, but Fishers is www.fisherplows.com and Western is www.westernplows.com. Hope I helped some. Welcome to PlowSite, you will love it here. Mike :waving:

3. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

I have looked at the homesteader and the suburbanite plows. I did not like them because, for the main reason, they are plastic. Also, both dealers informed me that these plows will not be good for plowing multiple driveways. A Fisher dealer infomred me of the 7.5 LD plow. He informed me that once the plow is on, if the truck suspention bends too much, he can add something to assist with the added weight of the plow........What do you think??:gunsfiring:

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Wow, I did not know that those 2 plows were plastic. I thought they were steel like the bigger models. He is probably referring to Timbren Load Boosters. Yes they will help out with the weight. What snowplow dealers do you have locally to you? Mike :waving:

5. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

Curtis, Pathfinder, Fisher, Western, Blizzard. Right now, I am pushing towards the Fisher LD plow. Is there a website that describes what these load boosters are/do?

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

7. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

WHAT ABOUT PATHFINDER PLOWS......ANY GOOD?

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with a Snoway.It's lighter than the Fisher,and just as strong.It has downpressure to help backdragging and scraping.

The Timbrens are a big help.

Oh.....and welcome to Plowsite :waving:

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sorry, I know nothing about Pathfinder snowplows, they arent very big around here. I have only seen one here in my life a long time ago on a Ford truck. Mike

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Its a good idea but its going to take alot of driveways to offset the price of the plow probably around 3 grand. I dont know if you knew how much a plow would set you back. If your doing it mostly for your driveway you won't be worried about the price as much and a couple drives on the side would help, but then you have the extra responsibility also. Just some things to think about.
    BTW how do you like that truck? I think they're nice and welcome to plowsite :waving: .
    Eric

11. pjl400

pjl400 Junior Member

I LOVE IT......I have a long driveway so the plow will be predominately for me, but if I can get 10-20 driveways at 30-40 bucks a pop......with 4-5 storms, the plow is paid for...........this is my goal.......any other suggestions for plows would be helpful...

12. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I also heard the Homesteader was not good for multiple driveways, really only for one. This was a dealer in MA, not too far from Rhode Island. The guy I've been dealing with is great, let me know if you are interested in speaking with him, I'll give you his name and number.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

pjl400. If you really think its that easy then good luck.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

pjl400 - I have a 1999 Expedition - basically the same as the F150. Same basic set up as yours - 5.4l and towing package.

I just put a Snoway on mine - see picture link

I went to a Fisher dealer last year and he told me no way would he put a Fisher on it. Only option for me was a Snoway.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like others here have suggested,I would look into all the associated costs and expenses,and see what your really going to make out of it.Do a search on insurance,costs,pricing,and expenses,so you can fully evaluate what kind of profit you will make.

Add up the cost of the truck,plow,repairs,wear and tear and maintenance,insurance (extra for GL and plowing),gas,coffee,etc,and you'll probably find you'll have to charge a little more for the driveways to make it worth your while.

16. zippi

zippi Banned

Perfect plow

Meyer makes a special plow just for that truck. Its model is a stl 7.5. Had one and worked great