1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suggestion to the business owners out there

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by g.moore, Feb 1, 2008.

1. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Some of you may have seen my truck in pics others may not. Anyway 2500 Ram with Sno Way 25 blade which I have simply because the county doesn't plow to my house so I have to dig my own way out for 1/4 mile. Because I'm not running around in an '84 S-10 with a Snowbear on the front the local plow operators try and get me to sub for them, when I say no they go off the deep end and try to explain how ignorant I am for having a plow that big on the truck and not making money with it. I usually end up just getting into the truck and covering them with diesel smoke while they're still ranting. I have started writing down the company names of the business owners who do this and those that just say "OK, just checking" in a little notebook and when people ask if I will plow their driveway and I respectfully decline I make sure and tell them not to use these companies (the ranters) but these other guys are OK, here's their phone #.
    Just wanted to get this out there, it's getting rather old being told how stupid, inbred and ignorant I am and how I'm stealing all their business by plowing myself out (they don't understand I won't plow someone's driveway for $10 or $1000, I'm not commercial). So next time you ask someone with a blade if they'll sub and they decline, just thank them and walk away chances are It'll help your business in the long run.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

May be you need to get "private vehicle not for public hire" stickers.;)

3. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Hadn't thought about that, you are just a wealth of knowledge Basher. 2 little magnets may well get rid of the ranters. I guess in a way it's also a public service, keep the rude screamers at the coffee shop and the nice polite guys bringing in the payup. I am definately going to look into the magnets.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Just tell them you will sub for $2000 per hour:D

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Works for me. The last guy who stopped me to ask if I was interested in subbing, got told "You can't afford me". I've never been asked again.