1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion/question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mikemat31, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Hi all I am 16 years old and I will be getting my license in november. With winter quickly approaching I am a bit concerned. I don't want a pick up as my first truck because the gas is a killer and other than the short 3 month winters I am sorta stuck with it. My mom has an SUV and I plan on getting a small utility trailer to haul my snowblowers around. My question to you guys is has anyone ever relied on just snowblower and if so how productive could one be. I will have 2 blowers and maybe one other kid shoveling. My other question is when did you guys start taking snow removal serious to the point where you were making more than just side cash and preferably how old you were. Snow removal is something I plan on doing my whole life regardless of the job field I am in I love the snow! I do plan on going to college so its either I start now with a jeep wrangler and plow. Or wait until after college. However the wrangler probably won't happen my parents aren't keen of it because of the poor safety ratings. In addition if you know of any SUV style truck that you can accompany with a plow I would love to hear them.

Thanks everyone in advance

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stay in school.You already have to many things against you now.Under age,can't get insurance using power equipment under 18.Few other things to.

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Last week on Lawnsite you were getting an F250 to plow with, change your mind?

4. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Yea I know if I could get it I would have loved to. I agree with my parents I live in the most densely populated areas in the country and driving around in an f250 wouldn't be manageable at my age. The landscaper I work for told me to check out the wrangler. Believe it or not but you can put a half ton 7.6in plow on it. So I am trying to convince my parents but the safety ratings are terrible

5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Get a Ranger, use the snowblower for now, expand later

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Using a snow blower and shovels is the primary way I do snow removal here. My company does 400 residences (give or take) and numerous commercial contracts too. There is nothing wrong with using a snowblower, and to be honest in my opinion on a light snow fall, 2 guys with shovels can out preform almost anything. On a 2 inch snowfall, we average about 5 minutes a place, including all walks/paths/driveways etc on a place. Don't use this as a example of what you should expect though, because it isn't about how fast you can get a easy snowfall done, it is about how long it well take you to do the worst snow fall of the season. 20 accounts if you are by yourself, 30 or so if you have someone with you, would probably be a max for your first couple of years.

7. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

sounds like you are really willing to work. You may want to hook up with a commercial contractor and just do walks. You sould beable to get u and 2 buddies and your car/ truck and get a contract to pay you $65 per hour on a 1099 basis if you use your own truck and have your own shovels. The contractor my make you have insurance if he is large, but a smaller guy will say have at it most likely.