1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion on Level kit for 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by livetoplow, Feb 3, 2011.

1. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Hey i am looking at leveling kits for my truck as i would like for it to sit higher. My question is, which kit should i look for and what is the most lift i can get from it without taking away from ride quality ? Will i have to add something to the back to get it nice flat and level ?

If anyone is familiar with putting one of these in please PM me about installing as well as a price.

2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I did the readylift this summer. Leveled the truck out nicely and didn't seem to change the ride. Make sure you have the front end aligned after doing this.

Some here will also suggest just turning the torison bars to raise the front end.

3. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Ya i went the whole turning the T Bar method. Too harsh of a ride though. Want to get a good lift with still having good ride quality

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You can do the Cognito upper arms. Doing keys is NO different than turning up the bars other than you can turn them more with keys.

5. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

Turn up the keys and put timben on it ride great

6. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

level what..

level what..there is a aftermarketkit kit that uses a solid front axle with leaf springs..it is a everthing to convert kit...i think its offroaddesign.org ...unsure..idk..

7. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

use the readylift it will give you approx 2 1/2 inches of lift in front without affecting the ride as long as you put the t bar bolts back too same location.... it is not the same as cranking up the bars it actually rekeys the bars when they are off lay them on top of one another and you will see... as far as installing if you dont have the loading/unloading tool dont attempt very unsafe

8. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Now do i have to put anything in the back for everything to sit nice and level with that 2 1/2 inch of lift ?

I saw this kit. Seems like a great deal what are your thoughts ? Comes with the shocks that most on this forum seem to agree work very nice.

Thanks for the help !

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ya but solid axle swaps get you min 7" of lift and take up the bolt holes used for plow mounts. also good solid axle swap done right is 3k min. payup

10. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

you can buy the readylift with the rear blocks and u bolts too. go too readylift.com.. but when u add the rear blocks it gives u the raked look again i did mine without the blocks.. as far as the kit with the shocks who makes it and what are the torsion keys made out of i bought a cheap set once and instead of lifting the truck the bars spun inside the keys. leaving no lift at all and a waste of time and money.. u dont have too change the shocks the kit comes with the shock extenders and so far the factory gm shocks appear too be just fine ... let me know what u decide

11. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Ya i would not want a Rake look. I want it to sit as high as possible with the Level kit but i do want the back and front to match and be even.

So i saw the kit and the price is great. How hard is this to install ? If anyone near the RI or MA area has done this job on a Silverado and wants to shoot me a price let me know.

What shocks would you put on it ? My shocks are spent just not sure which ones to go with to give me a nice ride but still handle my Fisher plow ok

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I put in a 2.5" leveling kit, well, had one put in. The front end sat way higher than the back so I ended up adding 1" blocks in the rear. Could've gone with 2" blocks and still been pretty level

13. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Wow and what Level kit did you use ? Do you have any pics of your truck ?

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Not sure where you are getting your info but all the keys do is TWIST the bar more and it will affect the ride. No different than turning up the bars you can just turn more with the keys.

OP just take a straight edge and mark the bolt and crossmember 3-4 full turns will give you 3/4-1" of height maybe more. It will ride more like a Ford but not as bad as a Dodge:D

15. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

I just would love my truck to sit like a truck. The damn F250s and especially F350 pickups make my truck feel very small. Would love to achieve the stance of a F350 without breaking the bank but also not having any negative effect on me when i plow.

I had one guy crank up my T bars. It looked like the front was higher than the back and it rode horrible. Like i had no suspension at all. I would love a nice truck stance but not if i am going to get a ride quality like it was. My new Mechanic told me they were over cranked. He has then turned 3 turns with i guess stock keys and it still should be higher but rides much better though

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Well your only option would be the Cognito A arms then

17. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

How is the Cognito kit so different. Will i have more of a lift ? I have seen some with a 3 inch Body lift and makes it like a F350 stance look. What would you recommend ? The Cognito kit ? Just do not want a real harsh ride and want no problems when plowing

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

crank the stock setup tight with bolts maxed out or keys it puts the upper a-arms right on the bump stops on the stock suspension.

the new upper a-arms from cognito prob have diffrent angles and stick out a bit more to also help with alignment problems that cranking the stock bars will give you. also puts the cv joints in a much tighter working angle and binds them up sometimes. also the ball joints and tie rods get much more angle and wear out faster.

ifs was designed to work at specific angles the best. if you crank them up you cut the life span right out of them so fast.

so if you can crank the bars AND keep the uppers off the bump stops this will give you lift and still ride better.

almost every t-bar crank up or re key kit i ever did thay loved the lift but hated the ride . and 75% of the key kits i took back out shortly in the end. as thay just couldnt take the ride.

there is the firestone/bilstine air shocks now to help hold a level ride when plow is on . also a idea.

cognito kit write up http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/p..._-_Upper_Control_Arm_-_2001-2010_GM_8lug.html

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  19. Jumanji

Jumanji Junior Member

I used a cheap Truxx 3" leveling kit, think it was $290 from Tire Rack. The kit uses new torsion bar keys in the front, a 1" lift block under the rear leaf springs and new shock mounts for the front. The truck rides a little rougher, more like a truck, but it's not severe. The stock suspension did not have quite enough adjustment in it to get the alignment perfect, but it's close. This kit clears 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Overall, I'm happy with the kit for the price I paid. I've heard good things about the Cognito kit as well.

DSC00641 600 dpi.jpg

DSC00650 600 dpi.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

20. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Get the rough country leveling kit it was only 70 dollar for my truck did not lose much ride quality.