1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion on best spreader please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fourseason, Sep 17, 2015.

1. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Hello everyone.
    I'm looking for advice on the best spreaders out there.
    1- here in Edmonton Canada we only use rock chips ( about 3-4 mm) in our spreaders, we don't use salt for our parking lots
    2- looking for a hooper size between 4-6 yards.
    3- curious about electric verses gas or hydrolic
    4- it will be going on a 5500 truck
    5- money is not really a problem ,just looking for quality and very reliable.

Currently I have a fisher electric 1.8 yard hopper. It's good just need bigger.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

IMO hydraulic is the best.
    Are you frame mounting this? You'll be over weight with 6 yards, not saying I wouldn't do it. We run a 5 yard on our Chev 5500.

Also hydraulic will be the most expensive to get up and running so make sure your keeping the truck for a long time.

3. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Hi cet,
    It would be on a flat bed truck, so 5 yards is about max? Do you have a brand name you like. Our you using rock chips in your as well?

4. IanS

IanS Junior Member

Hydraulic will have the most power. Haven't used gas myself but anyone I know who used them in the past stopped and switched over to either electric or hydraulic due to the hassle of them not always starting from the cab.

As for weight how close is your first site from where you load? I know we often leave the yard overweight but our first salting sites are just down the road so before we hit any major routes we are likely clear. Just something to keep in mind.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I have a couple of 4yd Swenson stainless steel gas spreaders. They work fairly well. There are a few tricks to learn to start them when its really cold. They have a wireless controller which can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes, I wired up a switch that can be used to control the spreader if the wireless craps out . You can buy an extension kit (or make one yourself) that increases the capacity. I believe you can buy the spreader for about $8000.

6. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Thanks ianS . I have a 20 mile drive until first customer so can't really be over weight.

Thanks brad. Yes I have seen those Swansons before. It's nice to hear some feed back on them .

7. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/striker

The last one on this page is kinda the one I'm thinking of.

10 spreader , hydrolic, 885lbs. 6 yard. I don't think I would be over weight on a dodge of ford 5500 either dump body or fleet bed? But.... Maybe some of you have some info ;)

8. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

What's the cost on that one??? Is you're truck set-up with a PTO???

9. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Hey brad,
    No truck Is not set up yet with pto. Not sure about cost calling this week.

10. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Our Swenson salters have been great. We only spread salt. If the rock chips won't pack while you drive I don't see a problem.
    We used a tailgate salter for 1 season and hated it. The extra payload doesn't offset the constant playing with the box for us. I don't need the box in the winter so for us V boxes work best.

12. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Thanks cet,
    Ya that's what I was kinda thinking. We just used rock chips and it does have sand but it is pretty free flowing. So your tailgate spreader used with salt clumped up? Was it altleast durable? Did your have the auger system in it ?

13. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

Hey guys, looking for an upgrade probably next season. I have a 3yard saltdogg now w sides to make it over 4yds but its only 7ft long on an 11ft dump - making it rear end heavy. Ive only owned auger salters, not sure what would be my best bet. Just looking for opinions with what worked and what hasnt worked. Any feedback is good feedback
    Thanks