1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suggestion for storing plow outside/summer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mainebob, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

i have been storing my mm2 in a barn for the last several years, but will not be able to do so this year. i have read not to put a tarp over the plow because of condensation and then rust. any suggestions for the best way to store and or cover the plow during the off season. i am thinking about this now because it sure did not have lot of plowing and probable will not have much more plowing here in maine this year. thanks.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm going to Wait until April or may before I start to worry about storage..
    Don't rush the season:waving:
  3. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

just trying to plan ahead. my plow/truck are investments i need to last a very long time. i was brought up with the philosopher that equipment/tools can last a life time if taken care of properly.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use a tarp over my plows for summer but I use ones that are small enough that the sides are open for ventilation and keep them in the shade. Something else you can do is use a piece of plywood. Lay it against the A frame side of the plow so that it's between the plow and the sun. In my opinion not as good as a tarp, but will protect it from ultraviolet rays. If you're storing outside, keep the grass and weeds cut short around the plow. I also put a pallet under the moldboard and a 2x6 under the jackstand to keep everything out of the dirt.
  5. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

thanks. good ideas, i guess the sun will do as much damage as the moisture in the long run.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

My plows aren't new so I just paint them before I put them up and spray Wd-40 onthem through out the summer. If you have a new plow with factory finish than yea tarp it or whatever you gotta do.
  7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If you can find a plastic pallet--I would recommend useing that for the moldboard!--(Micks 2x6 works well for the jackstand) they don't rot and water will drain off it with a few small holes drilled in it!--I cover the headgear, and 50% of the mold board with a tarp! Over the years I have a couple of mold boards go soft just above the trip edge--This was probably do to summer storage on just dirt-- At close to 5K for a new plow setup--it's worth taking an hour and storing it away right.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is usually pretty easy to take the pump and motor off. If you can do this and put it inside that would help. You will want to drain the fluid in the fall anyways so this will give you a head start. I would tarp the rest of the plow and try to keep it off the ground.
  9. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

ont forget dielectric grease in the electrical connections if so equipped.
  10. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I just leave them hooked up to the truck, park the ho kitten kaboddle until next year-after oil has been changed,engine fogged, stabilizer added to full fuel tanks then unit is greased and check out front end --ball joints--all front end parts, then when I have time in the fall, I change fluids then I do alittle rust preventative maintenance. Fliud Film works great to keep rust from spreading during dry seasons. :cool:
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006