1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion for safety lights for my jeep?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Aveerainc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I plow my own driveway with a jeep and would like to know my options for adding strobe/flashing lights - I have a hardtop so a magnetic unit would not do - what do you suggest? Hideaway strobes in the headlight/tail lights?

2. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I am picking up my new Jeep next week and have been wondering the same thing. Any suggestions out there???

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Depends on your budget... With you just starting you can do the corner strobe thing but you have to remember during the daylight they'll probably wash out. If your getting a CJ type jeep you can try a rotator mounted on a pipe to put that light up higher in the air. You can mount that close to your "A" post also.

Like I said if your just doing your drive...depending on your budget you can go semi in-expensive. You just want 360 degree coverage.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I think with the hard tops the best way to do it is have a bracket made to go in your trailer hitch with a pipe that comes up from the hitch and then put a bracket on the top to mount a simple strobe light. You don't need anything major.

5. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Another option is to get a light bar(for of-road lights) the mounts to the front windshield. You can mount both off-raod lights and a warning light too. They are made for most vehicles including the new JK models.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I believe KC makes that lightbar like you mentioned.

7. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Good suggestions. I have a spare tire mounted bike rack that is removed in the winter. I could easily fab a bracket to go above the roof and hold a strobe. Now I gotta find a strobe I can plug into a 7 pin receiver to draw power.

8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

That's a great idea, along with the hitch mount, I would prefer the light on the back anyway when backing out of driveways, the lightbar also works. I used one Thule ski rack bar and brackets I had laying around attached to my hard top.

You could go with a low-draw LED light and wire it to the parking lights so it come on whenever you are using them.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

One of these would be slick.
    http://sirennet.com/soepl7.html

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This is what I did with my YJ, bought a mini light bar magnet mount. Took a couple of measurements, length plus width and add 2 inchs to each side. Went down to my local steel supplier had them cut a piece of 3/16 flat stock to my measurements. Took it down and had it powder coated or you could paint it. Then bought a tube of super fast drying windshield Urethane and put a couple real good rows of urethane on the bottom of the steel plate and set it in the middle of the roof close to the front. Parked it in a heated garage overnight and then placed the magnet mount mini bar on it. That thing will not move.

Mike

10. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I have another idea...I have the 3 piece freedom top and could probably find a damaged left/right front panel and mount a light permanently on that and just use that piece for the winter and go back to good piece in the summer. That should work fine.

11. mferrari

mferrari Member

Thats along the lines of my thinking. I know when I used to use an el cheapo beacon the magnet came off and I used liquid nails to glue the magnet back on the light and it worked great.

If you need any assistance with the steel let me know.

12. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought a cheap chinese 6 strobing square system with controller that i made a deal with an ebay dealer for. I have 4 mounted in the hard top, two out the back to the rear in the top corners and two, one on each side, in the rear window towards the rear facing towards the sides allowing people to see me when i back out of driveways. Then two facing forward in the front window mounted in the top corners. Plenty of light and easy use of clear adhesive mount them to the windows. They stay inside out of the weather and work great.

13. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Try this....may be a little chilly though.

743.jpg

14. ISLDSNOWREMOVAL

ISLDSNOWREMOVAL Junior Member

my way is alittle jerry but works great i used a little silcone and a square metal gang box cover plate and havent had a problem for three years and when the lights of the roof you wouldnt even no it was there just an idea.

15. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Another Jeep Light mount

The fiberglass top clamps to the windshield... so I sandwiched a flattened sheet metal disk- actually a galvanized leftover from a recessed light fixture; put the tab in the seal space (unlatch-insert near center-latch) and have a nice perch for the flasher. Its a little wobbly, but holds the mag-mount flasher nicely (duct tape around bottom perimeter is a good backup restraint for "hard stops").

Maybe when it warms up I'll make it a bit more "professional"!

16. MassHighway23

MassHighway23 Senior Member

try wig wags

17. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Jeep Hardtop-mag platform

A few pictures of what I'm talking about. Hey, it works!...

Flasher_Jeep.jpg

recess_can-bracket.jpg

Flasher_closeup.jpg

18. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Cool- thanks for sharing.

19. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

20. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

BAM! That's what I did on my Wrangler. No holes to drill and looks good.