1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion for S185/T590 pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Jim15, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

A little background... We have an F250 and F350 with 8' Fisher SS Xblades, a backup 8' Fisher HD for pickup, an International 7400 with 10' Everest power angle plow and hitch, Bobcat S185 with 8' Fisher power angle plow w/ custom SS mount and 68" snow bucket, T590 with 74" GP bucket, and IR WL 440 with 1.5 yd GP and 2.1 yd snow bucket, and 10' Fisher MC power angle plow with quick hitch mount.

So needless to say we have more than enough trucks, equipment, and snow attachments. We used to have the F350 and 7400 on a municipal route, and F250 and T190 on lots, and T190, S185, and WL 440 on snow removal with 7400 hauling. We no longer plow municipal, strictly commercial lots.

For the last four to five years we have plowed two good size lots that are right beside each other with just the F250 and 350, and last year built the 10' plow for 440 and paired with just one pickup. S185 and T190 staged at other lots for snow removal only.

So, this year we picked up a third lot. All three are on same 1/4 mile street. Third lot was done with 2 pickups last year by other contractor. This year we plan on trying to do all three with F250, F350, and WL 440.

All three buildings have a fair amount of loading docks. As evidenced by our equipment/attachment list, we have never owned, and never been fond of pushers. However, I tend to try to see Pros and Cons in everything. Recently for the first time, I saw a picture of a Protech pusher being used on an S185, rolled over and being used to back drag loading docks.

SO....

1.) For those of you with experience with using pushers on skidsteers, specifically S185 with 8' Protech pusher, is this a common way you clean out loading docks?

2.) Those of you with S185's/S590's, T190's/T590's. I know you all prefer the biggest possible pusher and you can always take less snow, but do you see an 8' as the ideal size as to not get too big where you can't fit between cars/trucks/trailers and still get the job done? Or would you go to a 9' or even 10'? I am well aware the bigger you go, the more it weighs, the less weight/volume of snow the machine can handle

3.) Bobcat or Protech brand pusher? We have a great 30 year relationship with our Bobcat dealer, and about a 7 year strong relationship with our current truck equipment Fisher/Protech dealer. Price is not an issue, we want the best. Bobcat brand the top front edge looks slanted, which I perceive would leave a snow trail when back-blading as described

4.) Finally which cutting edge to you find best, steel or rubber?

Thank you in advance for your opinions

Jim

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If so, look into a 8-13 HLA snowwing. I've never owned one, but would like to. Another option would be a Kage or Snowwolf plow/pusher system.

We run a couple Bobcat pushers, and have been very happy. The floating hitch design is great. Stays in contact with pavement through uneven terrain, and allows the machine to keep all 4's to the ground...resulting in MUCH improved pushing performance from your skid.

If I had A LOT of loading docks to clear with a skid, I'd probably be using a straight blade or big snow bucket.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Have you ever thought about a pull plow for one of the trucks? As far as the size for a S185 I would go 9' steel edge pusher or plow.

What do the loading docks look like? Are they flat...Do they have sides boxing them in...Are they on a decline? How many are we talking at each site?

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say if you thinking on a 8 ft pusher might be ok on lite snow if you get wet it might have problem with traction. That's what Protech told me.
    I went with Pro Tech Sno Blade Its 3 in 1 blade Its 7.6 box or 8.11 wing plow or 9.6 windrow plow I have power angle so if I'm in deep snow I can angle the plow and let some snow out if I loose traction.
    My skid is same size. Pro Tech rep said My skid could go either way. He said if I get a lot of wet snow is to go with a smaller plow would be better But if I get a lot of powder snow then I could go to the Sno Blade 9' model.
    The Sno Blade is a steel trip edge plow and you do have down pressure when you want it.
    That's all I can tell you Since I just bought it haven't used it. It looks well built.
    Good luck

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We've been running up to 10ft pushers on S185's & T190's (w/dedicated tires/tracks) with great success, for years. Just sayin.

6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

That S185 will be fine pushing a 10' pusher. I have a 10.5 Avalanche I run on a 75XT and 435 without any trouble at all.

7. WIPensFan

Those are both larger machines than the S185.

8. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Currently researching snowwing. I've seen all of these mentioned before when I have looked at this forum. I have researched Arctic Sectionals and Kage systems before, and liked the concepts of each. However, for its intended use, I don't believe we need either of those for this machines intended purpose.

So you are saying Bobcat brand pushers have a floating hitch that acts as a trip edge of sorts? Or more on the concept of the Artic sectional pusher?

As listed above, we have an 8 ft. Fisher power angle plow for this machine as well as a 68" snow bucket. We have seen a couple guys with S185's and S205's who do lots use the 100" 2yd Bobcat buckets on their machines. One of them was dumping off of top level of 3 story parking garage and nose dove, destroying the cab off of the railing. Lucky he didn't go over. So that's why we have the 2.1 yd bucket for our 16,000 lb. CWL.

Do you have experience with the Bobcat pushers flipping it over and using the moldboard to backdrag the loading docks?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We run over 175 sectionals, with a slip hitch, it allows you to steer. Like any other box pusher, if its a single dock door, its hard to get the last 2ft. The sectional backdrags as well as pushes.

10. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Pull plow, not really. Seems pretty hack, IMHO. Do you have experience using an S185 with a 9' pusher, or similar sized skid? We already have an 8' plow and 68" snow bucket for machine.

Loading docks vary. One building is mixed use, multiple tenants. One side of building has about 12 loading docks which vary from conventional two bay loading dock, one on end has a giant concrete ramp with parapet walls to get forklift out, a couple others have ramps which are narrower. some have walls beside them, lots of dumpsters and used pallets in them. Lots of storage trailers opposite those loading docks. Front side has parking for office people, those have to get back dragged or like last year windrowed with wheel loader, although better still not ideal. Parking all down other side just windrowed and shoved back, and a couple loading docks and parking spaces down the end that have to get back dragged. Then there is a huge open lot, about 2 acres at least I would say in the back corner, with all kinds of storage trailers and parked machines and trucks. We just rough clear that so they can get out there. Back of building is a narrow 10' rd to get over to loading dock side, windrowed off of cliff into woods.

Second building is a juice company with about 30 delivery trucks, about 20 loading docks all together, wide open all the way down to end, same with dumpster and forklift ramp with concrete walls. Opposite that is about another 20 parking spots for trucks with block heater cords and small crappy block wall that was just built and looks like its disintigrating. All snow has to be pushed to end of lot where forklift ramp is and stacked and occasionally dumped over 10' security perimitter fence. Would be simple but trucks all over the place, most leave between 3am and 6am, and come back between 10am and 2pm. So you have to have employee parking clear by 3am, and truck spots between 6am and 10am. Then there is about 3 or 4 spare trucks that they insist on parking on all 4 corners of lot. Have to ask usually every time to have moved. Except one ******* contract trucker who never goes out when it snows and leaves it on one of the two corners making it miserable. Front has about 40 space employee parking, windrowed away from building and pushed to one end.

New building is huge footprint and 2 stories, real awkward footprint all kinds of corners, parking around building that needs to be backdragged or windrowed out, narrow roads around buildings, probably 15-20 loading docks with dumpsters and pallets. I will try to get pictures.

11. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

3 in 1 sounds like an awesome concept. Have yet to see it, but will research. Again, I'm thinking a little too much for it's intended purpose. That's why I'm asking for advice on size. I've seen people around here use 6' to 10' plows and pushers, and 60" to 100" snow buckets on S185's. I'm leaning towards 8'

12. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Judging by your username, I would say we each see similar snow consistancy. Ever do any damage to loader arms, extreme pin and bushing wear, blow hoses, or blow cylinders in the middle of the storm using a 10' box full of 4 yards of snocrete?

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No. Using it in its normal operating mode works great though. What little is left between the end of the side plates and structure can be caught by sweeping with the end plate across the structure to snag that little bit.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Only damage to a skid we've had, in 10yrs of doing snow work, was a broken hinge pin about 2 yrs ago...then last yr we had a joystick damaged.....but both were due to operator error.

And no, my username is not what you think. Although we do get some snows like that...you get more of that than we do I'd say.

15. WIPensFan

I had a S185 for a snow season. I put my 10' Snow Wolf plow on it just to see how it would lift and maneuver around. It was too heavy for it in my opinion. Especially if it had snow stuck to it. Heck my S650 with the 10'er with box sides on won't turn when loaded full and Wolf Paw tires. I suggested a 9' because it would weigh less but still allow you to cover the most ground. In heavy snow you will still struggle with it. An 8' snow bucket would be a safe bet no matter how much snow you had to move( just no trip edge which sucks). I had a 7' snow bucket on mine because it did residential drives and a small tight Condo account.

A pull plow would not be "hack". Those Ebling 16' pull plows can knock out some loading docks provided you have the room to maneuver( check out some of the videos on YouTube). I've use my Daniels 8'er for a series of 5 loading docks all running downhill and it worked great. They would be tough if not impossible to back drag out with a front plow on a truck.

16. Antlerart06

I say 8ft would be the neutral size

Here is what mine looks like Its the 7.6' model. It will run most of the time with wings at 45* that size is 8'11'' I paid 2900 ship from Pro Tech factory http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=148483

17. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Already have an 8' Fisher p/a plow. If we didn't I would consider this concept and the Kage system. However I don't think the side plates are big enough and I wouldn't be able to use it flipped over.

I am considering Protech 8' and 9' pull back pusher, and Bobcat 8` and 9` pushers and orange plows with the wings that turn into box

18. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Also considering 10` and 12` loader and 10` - 14`backhoe pusher for our Ingersoll Rand WL 440 wheel loader. We have a 1.5 yd GP bucket, forks, and bought another set of forks and used frame to make plow frame for a 10' Fisher Mc, and just bought brand new 1.5yd and 2.1 yd snow buckets for it real cheap at an auction. Real nice, 14,000 lb machine that comes standard with quick coupler and aux hyd so plow is power angle and quick to change. Thinking of having machine with plow, snow bucket, and putting a pusher on old 1.5yd. So it's a quick change pusher but you still have a bucket with you, and it's out front so you can see cutting edge.

So thoughts on which pusher for the loader. Specs are about 14,000 lbs, 75hp, 1.5 yd machine. Motor could be bigger but it handles a yard and a half of broken concrete and wet sand loading high 10 wheelers with no issues.

19. Antlerart06

Why would you want flip the plow over for

I apply down pressure to the blade and back drag snow no need flipping a blade over

20. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

You can pull a lot more snow if you have a pusher with a pull back blade on it. You don't get the runoff you would with a blade for one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013