1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suggested Industry Standard Pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jerry andersen, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jerry andersen

jerry andersen Member

Post your thoughts and area. Lets see how many replies we get.

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

oh no!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

3. jerry andersen

jerry andersen Member

Oh no what we not talking about price fixing

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok. What do you call it?

5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

A great idea?

Comin Mick. The only time you can get two people on the same page here in this business is when one guys got his nose up the butt of the next guy.

Like price fixing is even feasible, and what if it was.

Who would stop it and how.

Gonna call out the national gaurd on a bunch of snow shovelers?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  6. jerry andersen

jerry andersen Member

suggested pricing like suggest manufacture retail price

7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It would only work if it pertained to zones. It wouldn't work if we charged the same as the guys up North mainly because we only get a few pushes a year. That alone raises the rates a bit.

8. starc

starc Senior Member

he he he...let me know how it works out for you guys...
    I just raised all my salting prices by $70 per application just because...

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

If it isnt price fixing, then what is it? How can you justify the Guy in Michigan getting the same as the guy in Florida? You guys and your pricing standards, or whatever you call them, are crazy.

Ann Arbor, i dont want to make the same money you do. You are always saying you are broke!!!!

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

By the way Ann Arbor,
    Have you found a new butt for YOUR NOSE YET?:D

11. LLM Ann Arbor

Just because you'll only get to salt four times this year?

12. LLM Ann Arbor

They get plowable snow in Florida?

Next time you see it....go take a photo with your polaroid camera.

13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I hate this pricing standards stuff... Seems like alot of whining to me. The last thing we need is more government/regulations related to anything. What's next subsities for snow plowers. Come on...... This is America, the land of opportunity. You either need to figure out how to be successful in a free competitive market........ or if you can't compete then it's time to find other work........

Businesses fail all the time.........that's part of the freedom.....

D

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You manufacture snow and will be suggesting a selling price?

Ok, go ahead. You start and let us know the "suggested price".

The closest thing I've heard of to this is a management company who tells the plow guy what they'll pay.

Actually, standardized pricing in any form won't work because the associated costs vary by region. For example, my insurance rates are not even close to someone from Newark, New Jersey. So he would have to charge way more just to make as much as I do. To suggest we charge the same for the similar sites is ridiculous.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only the ones in Waco.:jester:

16. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Fuel costs are another thing that varies by region.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Basher, that was priceless, I vote for your post as laugh of the day.

jcesar, nice call.

If you don't want to call it price fixing, how about collusion or a monopoly. Good luck with whatever you do.

18. jerry andersen

jerry andersen Member

Could we not break it down by state or city it is only a suggested price. Of course you will have the bad jobs that require more work so you have to charge more. It could help with everything from paying subs/getting payed as a sub to salting. As for learning to be profitable? How many times have you put in a bid to be beat by a million dollar company by 30% and another big company comes in more than you. Also how many bids have you got that later you thought i probably could have got just a little more. I don't have all the answer's just thought we in the industry could come together and really help each other.

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IT WOULD NEVER WORK! GIVE IT UP Way too many things to consider, This industry is on both ends of the specrum there could never possibly be any meeting in the middle. Just look at the "driveway prices" threads, I have trouble getting $15.00 whopin bucks and other guys are getting 25-30 bucks for the same thing. Some subs are getting $75/hr and some are getting $35/hr. This smells like a "maintenance company" looking to see if they were screwed!:D

20. jerry andersen

jerry andersen Member

dmontgomery are you more profitable at plowing or your day job. It's hard to compete with the part timers.