1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sugestions on spreader purchase

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Winter Green, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Winter Green

Winter Green Junior Member

I work an 06 Ram 2500 with a steal easy dump, I'm looking to purchase a 1.5 to 2.0 YRD spreader. I know I'm going to have to put in Timbrins, due to weight limitations. I'm considering a used Meyers Pollyhawk with a 11 Hp Honda @ this time for what appears to be a fair price.
    Any review of this spreader and or allternitivs sugestions would be greatly appriciated

2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I am using the Salt Dogg 1.5 and LOVE it. No problems...

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with either the salt dogg 1.5 or 2 yd model poly all electric, great unit or go the route I am going and get your self a spreader for your dump insert. Same price and you can see better out the back for sure.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You should consider installing 1 ton leaf springs as well.

5. Winter Green

Winter Green Junior Member

I though about the weight and I'm having 1 ton leaf springs and air levelers installed. I'm hoping to buy a second heavy duty truck this summer, well see how business is. I'm strongly considering selling my lawn care equipment and limiting my future business to snow and ice services. Thank for responding

6. snowplower82

snowplower82 Junior Member

go with the salt dogg I have 7 of them and they are a wonderful piece of equipment:salute:

7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I have a Western Tornado and have had no problems with it. Although I have to say my next purchase will be a salt dogg poly. And this is based on talking to guys that have them and comments on here. I think either of those will make you happy.

If you do decide to go with the Tornado though...don't. LOL I am not contradicting myself. I just discovered the Fisher Polycaster is the EXACT same thing (except its yellow) and costs about $800 bucks less than the Tornado!!!!!! So go with the Salt Dogg or the Fisher.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

So is the blizzard salt spreader. I always wonder the price difference between all of them. You just found out they were the same thing? It seems like they have been the same for the last 2 years or so.

9. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Yeah, just found out. Haven't been in the market for a new spreader until now and was looking around and noticed how similar the two were and made a few calls and found out they are identical.

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

It is all about the name.....Western is synonomis with snow plowing. So they can charge more for "name brand" items.