1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sugar beet

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my salesman was in the area today and stopped by. he said last year they sold over 1,000,000 gallons of sugar beet by-product to this region..........that's a lot of chemicals!!!

2. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I am assuming you are talking for ice control. I used to haul beet pulp (byproduct of sugar manufacture) to people for cattle feed. They said it was like alcohol to the cattle... Couldnt get enough of it.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

County Highway DOT here uses it in their mixture that they use for anti-icing/pre-wetting.

4. daplowman

daplowman Member

okay I will be the one

Why?????Just for color?

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

naaaaa, for smell.

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

With their blend, it helps the lines remain on the road longer.

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I like "Night Train" myself! :drinkup:

8. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Been using it for over 5 years. add it to our bulk salt when temps drop down to 10 degrees. Its a little messy but the stuff works great at lower temps.

9. hoosier

hoosier Junior Member

beet juice

Im pretty sure what the salesman was talking about was sugar beet extract and calcium chloride mixture.
    The beet juice is used for adhesion on the roadway,also the sugar content helps lower the working temps of the product. Most ,but not all also have other additives to lower corrosion numbers.
    Sugar beet is widely used with calcium chloride,some with magnesium chloride.
    Corn based products are widely used and usally with mag based products.
    The combinations on the market are endless,and the claims are all over the map.
    All will work to some degree,but the application is the key,and using it as a procative measure,instead of reactive is the most effective.