1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sudivision pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by YPLLLC, Dec 7, 2008.

1. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I am looking at taking a contract for 8 miles worth of streets in a few private subdivisions. Does anyone know what the going rate an hour is for this type of plowing. This is without salt. Also anyone have an idea on how long it will tak me to do this. I am figuring 3 pass's with the plow will do the trick and then cleanup of intersections and what not. Thanks!!

2. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

The towns I have plowed for with 9' blade pay $85.00 per hour. But what to you want or need to make should determine your bid. It should take about 1.5 hours. Hope this helps

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It will take 4 passes as it is hard to run the plow centered on the crown in the street

Just drive it at plow speed then add about 5-10 minute per intersection/culdesac

4. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

well I figure plowing at 5-7mph. and with 4 passes that would come to 32 miles of street essentially so i am confused on how it would only take an hour and a half. Am I figuring something wrong? To me it seems it will take 6 hours if i do my math, i am gettign confused. some one please help I have to bid this in a few hours!!!

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

8 miles @ 8 mph= 1 hour per pass x 4 passes = 4 hours plus intersection time

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi YPLLC
    You will not get it done in 3 passes. Figure on $ passes, this is how I figured my sub. I took a lap and looked at how long that lap took, X by 4 passes then added some time for the intersection. My hourly rate is $100.00 a hour so do the math. The good part is this sub is right down the street from a couple of my other jobs so it is close by the house.

Regards Mike

7. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I will do that, THANKS!! You said you charge $100. This is sub work, how much less than normal rates should i be thinking since its sub work? I picked it up so i could fill like 6 hours of my time. haha

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing at 6mph?
    are you kidding?

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

It should be what ever your normal rate is, unless you made a deal with a contractor. You should have a going rate for your area. in my area most are trying to bill at $100.00 per hour but there are some less than that. 3 years ago we were shooting for $125 a hour.

Regards Mike

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I plow driveways at about 10 mph. I am sure if I were plowing streets, I would be doing at least 15 mph just so I can ensure that I am throwing the snow past the curb. As this is a sub job, figure out what you need to make to show the profit margin you normally make. If it is $65.00 an hour or $350 an hour. You are the one that has to determine that dollar amount. I know in NW ohio as a sub $65 to $70 an hour is acceptable. Back east they are doing sub work for $125 to $150. So figure out the soct of doing the job, fuel, wear and tear, your labor, insurance, so on and so forth, and bid it to make a profit after all expenses are paid.