1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suction and Tick now! Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Feb 6, 2011.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

When plowing I always place the truck in Neutral to relieve pressure from components and come to a complete stop before shifting.

The past few storms I've noticed a suction sound when going from R-N-D and vise versa.

Now tonight the truck was in Neutral and 4wd engaged, I was outside the truck and I heard a few bangs?? Then I noticed when switching between 2 n 4wd there's tick. 4wd seems to work excellent.

Truck is still under warranty what do you guys think? Vacuum leak some wheres that I cant find, Actuator gone bad, u-joints, transfer case??

Any similar problems, more snow coming in the next couple of days! I have been working the truck almost every other day plowing the past month. Need help finding it so I don't get stuck with no 4wd!

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Umm I think you should have already brought it back to dealer

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I hate dealers to be honest. Always try and take your money IMO

I like to find out what wrong with my truck then get it fixed under warranty instead of them telling me..This one is throwing me for a loop

4. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I would agree on hating dealers but if its under warrenty let them deal with it. The U joints will give you a creaking or tick sound but the suction noise is new to me but can only be caused by vacuum?? What year is it?

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Does your truck have the electric switch to go from 2wd to 4wd or the lever? I don't think a tick is much of an issue when going back and forth- my truck does it every now and again as well. Sometimes the electric motor won't engage the 4wd right away and keeps pressure until it pops in (almost like pulling on the lever and rolling a bit to get it synchronized before it will let you into gear). The suction I'm not 100% of, but have you checked your fluid level?

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'd love to have a truck under warranty. Take advantage! I don't know how the hubs/front axle engages on Dodges, but some trucks use vacuum. That might be where the noise is coming from, but again, the dealer should figure it out.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

its going in this week, I think its the actuator making more noise then it should, or maybe there is no fluid in the transfer case...

we shall see I guess, I'll let everyone know what happens