1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ptllandscapeIL, Jan 23, 2004.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Hey,this is my first season out plowing.but ive worked snow plowing since i was 10. Ive worked with different guys i eat sleep dream snow inthe winter,but this year i got a plowing account off of a new subway that i did the install and design and maintenance for,so i worked him a deal i told him 50 bucks to clean the lot and 25 to salt it it took maybe 300 lbs of salt,well in chicago we got a 6 in snow fall so like any other account 2-4 in 50 and 25 bucks every 2 after that he got all pissed whn i billed him and ripped up the contract was i wrong or was i right?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You were wrong, the contact need to spell out exactly what the customer will have to pay for. You deserve the response you got IMO.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, PLT, but you were wrong.

We agree that I will sell you 1 gallon of gas for $1.00. I can't just put premium in and now expect you to pay $1.80, right?

SPend some time and create a contract that explains everything, right down to the last snowflake. Also include a subrogation waiver, a blizzard clause, additional insured verbage, an indemnity and hold harmless clause, and so forth. Whatever it takes to "CYA".

I won't say you deserve what you got. I am sure there could have been a more mature way to handle the situation. But with some property owners I have run across, you are lucky you got away from there with both your legs still attached to your torso:nono: .
  4. ptllandscapeIL

sorry guys i should have been more clear the contract stated that its states" 2-4 inches $50, and $25 for salt,I will plow at 2 ins and will do so every 2 after that and also i had on there 25 for everythign after 4
  5. Plow Meister

If the contract clearly states that you will plow every 2" during each storm than there shouldn't be a reason for you to include a $25.00 charge for anything after 4". I would have waited until the snow stopped, added up the total snowfall, pushed the snow, and billed him the $75.00 to plow and salt plus the additional $25.00 for the over 4". Maybe I am still not understanding your contract clearly.
  6. ptllandscapeIL

that exactlly is what i did but it was snowing so bad that i plowed one time around 1:30 int he afternoon then around midnight when it stoped completely i mean it was so icy and snowing heavily that i went there 2 times and there was easy 3 inches both times. and when i signed the contract he made it very clear and even when he signed it that he need the walks and lot clear for his customers to get in.
  7. Plow Meister

Well, the total amount you should have charged him for your services was $100.00 which, IMO, is way too cheap. Especially for the amount of work you did.

Did you get paid? If so, I would just leave it alone and let the customer go. You don't need customers like that. If you didn't get paid, I would politely go to the business and try to talk with him in a rational and reasonable way. He is probably trying to get you to lower your bill but I wouldn't budge. Explain to him you completed everything in your contract and that he did sign this contract. The amount of money isn't worth the whole small claims court issue. But, if it comes down to brass tacks, you could mention to him that "option".

If he still doesn't pay, nhe next time it snows, plow a bunch of snow in front of his entrance door:D
  8. ptllandscapeIL

ahahahahahahahah sounds good, i know it was cheap and i got my money,the only!!! reason i went that cheap was because that is my landscaping account and i dotn want any other companys moving in...... whats funny is this i was int he local dunking donuts and the guy was like how much to do my 2 stores in town and im liek well there about an hour a peice so i said 100 bucks each hes liek NOOOOOOO! i ahve my regualr guy who does it for $25! thats bogus,but i did fidn this out the guy that plows it works for a HUGE landscaping comapny in chicago land and he is doing it ont he side with the company truck and that is bogus
  9. Plow Meister

Anyone who plows snow as a professional knows that comment was total BS.:rolleyes: I would have then asked him "So, this other guy... What, does he need crack money or something?":D
  10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Good point Chris, we should really start hitting "spell check button" when we type cause it takes me twice as long to read a post cause every other word is mis-spelled :dizzy: :dizzy:
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

If you can post the actual wording of your contract, that would help us decide if you really are right, or if you have a weak or unspecific contract.
    Because, I don't know what "2 ins" means, I guess it means 2 inches, but it is still not clear exactly what your contract says, it may be open to interpretation, and his interpretation may be different than yours.
    For instance, are you plowing twice for $50 if it snows 4 inches?
    Are you plowing 12 inches for $75 or $175?
    It is not clear from what you wrote.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

If you did all the other business with the Subway person, why get in an argument of a small percentage of the business? Working through problems helps to develop a relationship and helps to secure and grow your business. One "odd" event can cancel out a boatload of goodwill. These franchise guys don't have it all that easy. The franchise bills and fees them to death and they are not there to back them up on a bad month, (bad weather reducing sales), so try to understand your clients position when he or she seems unreasonable. Look at the whole picture and work with your clients. Everyone makes mistakes, successful people learn and work through difficult issues.
  13. ptllandscapeIL

I do agree with everything u said gprin,and i always conduct my business that way,but tonight i ran into a girl that use to work there and she told me she quit,and she told me that guy was nuts he'd say one thing and later say another or his mood would flip in a second.just sounds like hes overwhelmed by this business and the funny thing is this isn't his only subway