1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburbanite won't lift

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by paynter2, Jan 15, 2011.

1. paynter2

paynter2 Member

This is the second winter on my Suburbanite - probably 8 total hours of truck time.

I had to make a road trip with the truck about a week ago so I took the plow off. It was working fine at that time. I tried to hook it up today and it will not lift. Pump is fine - left/right works. But plow will not go up. I can hear pump running.

I'd appreciate any help - I have to drive 30 miles to town and wait while the dealer fixes any problems. Since there is no chain lift, I have to jack up the plow and chain it or get a tow.

Anyway - thanks for any advice.

2. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

suburbanite

This shouldn't change on you but try adjusting the relief valve on top of the lift cylinder. If the setting is too high the plow will not lift. Just a suggestion!

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the hydraulic fluid.With the plow down check the fluid to make sure if is full and level.

"Remove reservoir filler breather plug. Fill reservoir
    to the dipstick full level with WESTERN® High
    Performance Fluid to –40°F (–40°C), or other fluid
    conforming to Military Specification MIL-H-5606A,
    such as Mobil Aero HFA or Shell AeroShell® Fluid 4."

Here is the link to the PDF
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/27566.07_111507.pdf

Check to make sure you don't have any leaks.Check all hoses, passenger side, driver side, life ram, and scrape lock..Make sure they are all tight at their present locations......While you checking the fluid, make sure it is not milky. If it is. then you have moisture in the system.You would then need to flush the entire system..........

4. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Thanks - fluid level is full. No leaks - I keep the plow in my garage and the floor is spotless. The plow looks new - no oil on it or any parts of the frame. I just use it for personal use - so it should, and does, look new.

5. twinman326

Ok you habe it in the garage.does all the function work normal now??

6. paynter2

paynter2 Member

It's in the garage where I took it off a week ago. Clean and dry. I hooked it up this afternoon and no 'up'. I just mentioned the garage floor to indicate no leaks - the floor is clean and dry. No oil on the floor.

7. twinman326

Actually I was looking to see if the plow work.. If it did, then you have moisture in the fluid.That why I ask to check the color of the fluid..

You have three S valves
    S1=2way valve = lower
    S2=3way valve = right angle, left angel
    S3=4way valve = raise and left angle

U need to check S3 valve. I know your thinking the left angel works.And I agree. But the S3 also controls the lift.. Check to see there is power at the coil, and to see if it magnetize when someone moves the controller to the up position..If it does magnetize(using a screw driver and see if it sticks to the valve), then the coil is ok..If not, you might have a wire problem, or the coil is bad...

subunit.jpg

If the coil is good, then you need to remove the valve and test it to see if it is spooling..
    Also check the passage way to make sure there nothing restricting the flow of fluid through the hole..

test AA  spooling.jpg

They don't have a mechanics pdf on your plow..

Let see what happens

subunit.jpg

test AA  spooling.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Not sure if the suburbanite has the tin can reservoir but if it does it could be that the oil sump pickup has fallen off inside the reservoir. There are two pickups as I recall and the up / down pickup goes the deepest. The idea is that when your oil is low the left / right functions will suck air first but you will still be able to put the blade up in order to get home. If the blade won't go up maybe the sump tube has fallen off. Drain the oil, undo the four screws holding the reservoir on and pull the tin can reservoir off. In the bottom you should see a magnet and if you are lucky the sump tube. Just put it back on the nipple ensuring the little clamp is secure and then reassemble it & refill with oil.

9. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to take it into the dealer. I have a neighbor who can plow me out - I don't remember how many times I've had to have him plow me since I got this plow... AND he has a Meyers - :(

I didn't even get the plow mounted yesterday. I was going to use the hydraulics to help with the attachment. But, with no 'up', I couldn't lift it to 'swing' into position. I don't know about other Suburbanite users, but I have a hell of a time getting the plow attached - it's nothing like the brochure says... Go figure...

Anyway, it's too cold to be pulling things apart. It's -15 right now and my garage isn't heated. I have 6 inches of snow on the ground and another 4-7 due today and tomorrow. I have to be 200 miles away for work on Tuesday. So, I think I'll leave the plow off the truck and have the neighbor plow me out. I'll drive the truck to work this week. It costs an extra $40 in gas to drive it but it will be better in the snow fall.

Tomorrow I'll call the dealer and see when he can get me in. I had trouble with this plow from day one. A week after I picked it up from the dealer something failed - he got me in two weeks later. That's when I had the neighbor plow me out the first and second time. I'm gonna have to get something else - something I can count on. I live too far from the dealer to be jerking around like this. And, I don't like having to jack the plow up and chain it to that skinny light bar for transport.

Maybe I'll just get a big ATV and put a plow on that. Another friend uses his 500 Polaris - I'm surprised how well it does. My 450 Yamaha is pretty old. Maybe I'll get a bigger one (650 with power steering) and use that - at least as a backup for the 2-3 times each year that my Suburbanite doesn't work. Then I won't have the 'rock and hard place' feeling.

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

suburbanite

Let us know what was wrong with it. It's dissapointing to hear you have had so many problems. I have had my plow for just over four years. I replaced the electric motor a couple of years ago, or maybe last year, and busted one of the rubber trip springs. Aside from that the plow has been very reliable and I have always been impressed with it's abilities given it's size. I even assembled the plow myself. :mechanic: BTW, mine is for sale and will be coming off a 2007 1500NBS........sorry for the plug! :drinkup: