1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburbanite Wiring Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by curt5911, Nov 30, 2009.

1. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

I took a suburbanite off a 97 TJ Wrangler and installed it on a 2007 new style silverado.
    Everything worked fine on the jeep. I purchased a new 29070 iso module for the chevy along with the lighting harnesses. I reused the plow-vehicle battery cable, motor relay and the vehicle control harness, which plugs into the chevy harness with an adaptor. Install seemed fine, lights worked on the truck normally so I assume (I know) the lighting connectors are all oriented correctly. Unfortunately there is no power to the handheld controller and when I connect the red switched wire, I hear a clicking sound inside the isolation module. The clicking sound doesn't occur with plug "C" removed from the isolation module. Also, with everything connected, the truck lights are still on instead of the plow lights.

I've followed the wiring diagram a dozen times and everything looks like it's hooked up correctly. Would a bad isolation module cause this problem? I bought it in january but it was new. Thanks for any help.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Iso is supposed to click when you connect the red switched ignition wire. Thats why you use a switched ignition source, otherwise the Iso is hot at all times and will drain the battery.

It doesn't click with the C port harness disconnected because thats the harness that has the black/orange ground wire in it to supply ground to the Iso. No ground, no activation.

Do the parking lights on the plow work?

3. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

None of the plow lights work.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the parking lights don't work then the headlamps won't switch from the truck to plow. The park input signal is what tells the Iso to switch the lamps.

Need to diagnose why the parks aren't working. Check the park input wire in port B socket H of the Iso with a test light to see if the signal is coming in from where you tied the wire into the trucks parking light wire. If you have no input there then the parks won't function and thus either will the plow lamps.

5. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

Okay, thanks, I'll check that in the morning. Any idea why there is no power to the hand held?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Obviously check all inline fuses first. If they all check out disconnect the controller at the plug and verify whether you have 12V on the red/yellow wire as well as ground on the black/orange. Make sure all plugs are connected to the plow when you do.

7. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

Okay. Just checked the parking wire and it's powered into the iso.

8. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

The handheld has the ground, but no power to the red/yellow wire.

I left the DRL wire disconnected. That's correct if there's no separate driving lights, correct?

9. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

The inline fuses are all okay, but none of them have power on either side of them

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the wire at port B socket C on the Iso to see if it's hot there. It's the same wire as the red/yellow at the controller plug. If it's dead there too then you need to double check all fuses with a test light on BOTH sides of each fuse and also be sure you have a good connection on the red/green wire that you should have connected either to the pos battery terminal or the battery side of the motor relay. Also check port C socket C with the ignition on to see if your switched red wire is even sending power to the Iso.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you were replying as I was. Sounds like the whole system is dead. Follow the info in my last post for further diagnosis.

12. curt5911

curt5911 Junior Member

Thanks for the help.