1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburbanite Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by x888jmo, Dec 16, 2015.

1. x888jmo

x888jmo Junior Member

Looking for some help in diagnosing an issue with my setup. Sytem was working fine when I put it away last season. Got it out this week to do annual maintenance and nothing!
    Application: Suburbanite 6'8" on 2006 Wrangler Unlimited. 3 Port, 3 Plug system, Isolation Module PN 29760-1, Cab Command handheld controller.

Symptoms: Plow attached to running vehicle, all cables and controller securely plugged in. No function on controller: power button will not activate anything, no lights whatsoever, no hydraulics operate. No lights on plow (head, parking, turn signals, etc.) All lights on vehicle work fine but it appears the ISO does not recognize the plow is attached.

What I checked: (using a 12V test probe light)
    Battery connections to motor relay: all good.
    All fuses (2 10amp, 1 7.5amp, 1 15amp): all good, all receiving power.
    Switched ACC line to socket C, port C of the ISO: good power.
    Have power at the heavy 2-prong power cable to the plow.

Here is where it is weird. Checked power at the vehicle side controller socket. there is power on pins 2-6 but NOT #1 which the manual (22373 Rev7) states is 12V (red/yellow wire). ???

At this point I think the ISO is shot. Thought I'd ask here before ordering a new one. Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Anything done to the truck AT ALL?
    Did you check for grounds as well? Plow ground at the batt, then and the grill plug, then hooked up, and at the motor?

3. x888jmo

x888jmo Junior Member

You sir are a gentleman and scholar! Yes, put a new battery and alternator in the vehicle a couple weeks ago. Had no ground at the grill plug.

Started removing the plow ground cable and black/orange ground wire (to the controller) from the negative battery terminal and was getting a spark and a clicking at the ISO. Something was drawing current??? Ignition was off. Disconnected the black/orange controller wire at the quick disconnect and the sparking stopped. Removed both wires, cleaned and greased the terminals and reinstalled. Reconnected the black/orange wire and restarted. Everything is working fine! ???

A little concerned about why the spark and clicking... Did not touch anything at the ISO. Rechecked the controller socket and now have power only on pin 1. Do not understand how power bled to the other pins?

I'll put it through some trials but at this point everything is good! Thx Dieselss!

4. dieselss

Little cornfused, you had no ground at the big main power connector at the grill?

5. x888jmo

x888jmo Junior Member

Correct, nor at the negative battery terminal. The connection at the negative terminal where both wires connect was badly corroded. As soon as I started trying to unbolt it was when I got the spark and clicking. Have no idea what was drawing power. May have had the ignition in ACC instead of off but can't recreate it.

6. dieselss

Oh. Ok. Glad it's fixed