1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburbanite Tilt Springs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by x888jmo, Feb 20, 2015.

1. x888jmo

x888jmo Junior Member

Been a member for a while but this is my first post. Bought an 06 Wrangler Unlimited w/ 4.0L and auto in 2010 that came with a 6'8" Suburbanite. It has been great for over 4 years. Have replaced all hoses and the cutting edge this season and have always flushed and exchanged fluid every year. My problem is with the rubber trip springs. Mine looks like every picture I've ever seen of a working plow: the spring bar tube is bent on the right where the two springs connect which has bent the fastener on the plow. This week the left spring broke completely. I assume as with any rubber product these get brittle with age.

Has anyone seen a different spring option for this plow? It would seem that a coil spring solution could be fitted to the existing mounting points. The replacement springs are dam expensive.
  2. x888jmo

x888jmo Junior Member

Trip Spring Makeshift Repair

OK, it's not pretty but did a make shift repair using basic extension springs from my local Tractor Supply. Spring is 7" with 1" diameter hooks. With a little "persuasion" the ends fit over both front and rear tubes. Would have put two on but the store only had one of this size.

Gives me a little more trip tension as it was too light with the two remaining originals. Will let me get the drives done until I can do a permanent repair as we are getting another 6 in. today! By the way, $150 EACH for the Western original equipment springs is outrageous!