1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suburbanite down pressure?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by liftedwood85, Dec 6, 2010.

1. liftedwood85

liftedwood85 Junior Member

Ok looking for any and all info on this, from how to use, to how to adjust... iv searched around n did the following... lowered blade,tapped up then down(float light off).. I can still lift blade by hand.. is there an adjustment or am o spongy something wrong? Thanks Mikey

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Simple reason for that, Homesteader/Suburbanites do not have down pressure. You have to buy a Snoway if you want DP.

3. liftedwood85

Ok.. then why does my plow have a float light? I'm confused...

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Because that it exactly what it is doing.....floating.

5. liftedwood85

Gottcha.... thanks guys.

6. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

scrape lock

When you lift the blade does the cylinder collapse or are you just lifting the slack in the mount? I believe that you can adjust the scrape lock although I never have.

7. liftedwood85

Update** found a broken bolt holding my driver side RAM to a frame.. replaced.. tightened loose hydro line, no leaks... filled res. It was a qrt. Low.... plow seems to be working great now...

8. liftedwood85

New2chevy , I can lift blade all the way up... now if I jack my truck up the plow doesn't lower(float off).. scape lock? what does this actully do??

9. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

scrape lock

scrape lock is designed to lock the cyclinder down otherwise the plow would be in constant float.

10. liftedwood85

Locked as in no up or down movement.....

11. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

it allows for downward movement. Upward movement happens only when under too much pressure.

The scrape lock hydraulic line is the one that comes off the tank and runs directly to the cyclinder. That line, i'm assuming, allows fluid into the top of the cylinder when extended to keep the cyclinder from collapsing. I would assume that there is a pressure relief which is what is adjustable. When you put it in float mode the pump allows fluid to back flow allowing free up and down motion!

Again, just my assumption based on the design!

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The lower speed of the plow is adjustable. I'm not sure if the relief valve in the scrape lock is adjustable or not, I've have never paid any attention. You would make the hydraulics work a lot harder if you were to tighten it down as the unit works against the PR every time it lifts. If your units scrape lock is not operating it could be a bad check valve or a bad PR valve, both are located on the cylinder

parts 78 and 79 http://parts.westernplows.com/poster.asp

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I still would not mess with adjusting it differantly if it works. Extra wear on the system.

15. liftedwood85

I'll run it this season, and see how it does...

16. liftedwood85

Upward movement only happens when under to much pressure?? Is lifting the blade up by hand considered to much pressure??..... reason why I ask is if scrape lock is suppose to lock the blade from moveing up or down, then mine needs to be adjusted or repaired...