1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburban with 7.5' poly plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Oct 8, 2000.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

85 suburban with western 7.5 poly plow....

This one is for sale, it's in NJ. There's a post about it in the Used Power Equipment forum here at lawnsite.com

Says the plow is 4 years old, truck has new motor and trans.
    The guy wants $3500 the ad says, but then he goes on to say "make me an offer".

A Suburban is pretty long, but I can see it being useful doing parking lots, with sidewalks, as you can bring the sidewalk crew to the job easily.

~Chuck

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

It will work fine but my someone will back into something with it,its like a pickup with a topper my guess you will not find to many guys here with toppers on their trucks.Would be great for shovelers thought and could be used as a backup plow.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

From what I have heard(John Allin and Rick Kier)
    The top dogs run around in toppers while the rest of us have open beds. That way when the snow is over, they can drop the plow and take all the hoody doodies out to the country club in the big SUV. Shoot I bet they charge to drive those types around during a snowstorm, with the plow on.
    Wait, we may have a new market. Charge weathly wannabees to ride with you during a storm, a suburban or Excursion can fit like 8, at say 50 a head, per hour, thats 350 extra an hour plus being payed to plow.
    I see they do duck tours in Boston, so maybe like
    SNOW WARS for this idea.
    Dino

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Dino,

How many times have I told you..... Don't get on the forum after binge drinking ??

When ya gonna learn, dude ??

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

No drinking, jst a whining 5 year old, that doesnt want to go to bed.
    But still the idea has merits....doesnt it??????
    Dino

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Now that I think of it, I am curious what you drive John. We know you don't have a Bronco anymore, so what's your truck of choice? I'm sure you have quite a few to choose from!

~Chuck

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dino,
    I like your idea. I've payed some friends to sit in the truck to keep me awake during long shifts in the past. I have a bunch of lots that have very little shovelling so I didn't need to hire a shoveler to sit in the truck & work. That was back in the days when we used to have real winters aroundhere & I had a full time job that I sometimes couldn't call out of, & ended up awake for 60-90 hrs straight. I didn't know my friends were supposed to be paying me for the free fun entertainment of watching snow being pushed around. I'm kicking myself thinking about all that $ I could have made. I just bought a roll of raffle tix to sell to all of my friends & family, & the winners get to ride in the trucks for a plowing shift. What a money maker! Thanks Dino.

8. John Allin

1986 Ford F-250 with 9'2" Boss V - one owner, me.

Geared down, beefed springs, bucket seats, console set up for 'running the show' in the field. I can virtually live in that truck, if it comes to that. Gets repainted (and body rot taken care of) professionally every 4 years. Not used in summer months.

It's my "baby" - and everybody knows it. My mechanics and managers keep trying to get me to buy a new truck, but I keep telling them that I'm still breaking this one in. Besides, I don't actually plow as much as I used to anymore, so the truck's getting a break anyway.

9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I almost got a tear,that is just beautiful,its like an old cowboy and his favorite horse.One of these days I hope you put the old Ford out to pasture, don't take her out back shoot her.

10. John Allin

I deserved that....

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

ya know, Dino had a pretty good idea back a few posts ago. I mean I don't know about charging for rides, but if you take it a step further, any customer who complains or attempts to tell you how to plow should be offered a 1/2hour in the shotgun seat. especially during a severe storm when visibility is non existant, or when you are trying to thread your way through a lot littered with cars.

I had a boss try to tell me how to plow once. I put him in the truck and said OK Plow ( of course the lot was closed and empty... I am no fool)

after about a half hour of him driving in circles, and plowing the same areas two or three times because he kept dumping snow back into the plowed areas, he gave Up. I did more in 10 minutes than he did in a half hour.

I then told him to never tell me how to plow again... From that time on he left me alone. I am still here and he has been gone for 18 years.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1975 K20 3/4 Ton 4x4 suburban with a C-8 Meyer. This thing weighs 6500lbs empty. Load it up with bags of salt and watch out. The turning radius is half that of my 1990 K3500 ext cab! That sub is great and once you get it heated up inside, the windows dont ice up. The wheel base is about the same as a 70's era pickup. Now if someone could get these IFS GM's to turn sharp enough!