1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburban underhood light drains battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dobgolf, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dobgolf

dobgolf Junior Member

I have a 1999 Sub and the underhood light does not always turn off which drains the battery. How do I resolve the issue ? Is it most likely the horn relay which controls the underhood lamps. I also have an intermittent issue with the daytime running lights but the dash indicator works as it should i.e. it is on.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Take out the light bulb, put it in your glove box and if you should need it pop it in. That would sure be simple, maybe not correct.
  3. dobgolf

dobgolf Junior Member

Thanks I have already unplugged it - just wondering if there is a way to fix it and if the day time running lights issue is related.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

light out

it is a mecury vapor switch just replace it!it works when you lift the hood past a point then it complets the circuit:salute:
  5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

The DTRL may be going off if your Emergency brake is ratched down a couple of teeth, ran into this with my Suburban a few years back. I also had a battery drain, so I thought, I found that one of the side terminals were over tightened and put a crack in the case where the electrolyte was seeping out and weaking the batteries output and re-charging ability.
  6. kerpal

kerpal Junior Member

That's good to hear.. How is it today??