1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suburban tailgate glass

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rodnbow1, Mar 19, 2002.

1. rodnbow1

rodnbow1 Junior Member

is the tailgate window from an 85 'burban interchangeable with a 93 'burban?
  2. Pa_Ron

Pa_Ron Junior Member
    from Pa

think the style changed in 88 or 89
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

A discussion concerning Suburbans came up not too long ago:

From that thread, TLS posted this info:

"Here is the scoop on Suburbans!

Starting with pre 1973, I am not sure about all the specifics, but I dont think you are looking at this year range anyway.

Then there are the 1973 to 1991 models that had a solid front axle in the 4x4's. They were available in 1/2 and 3/4 ton (C/K-10 and C/K-20) and depending on the year, dictated what front axle you got. Engines ranged from 305 to 454 V-8's in gas, and starting in 1982, the 6.2L diesel. They never needed an excuse to rust, and rust well they did!

Then there are the 1992 to 1999 models. They used the newer ('88-'98) C/K pickup sheetmetal and underpinnings. This included the IFS. They were available with 305 to 454 gas, and 6.2L deisel and 6.5L Turbo diesel in 1993+. The C/K 1500 series is based on the 1/2 Ton chassis and the C/K 2500 is based on the 3/4 Ton chassis and included the larger front ring and pinion axle assembly found in the pickups. These are ALL IFS trucks.

Now that brings us to the 2000- 200x models. They are a totally new design incorporating rear coil spring suspensions and IFS. They are also available in the 1500 and 2500 models with engines ranging from 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1 gas, and so far, none available with the new Duramax diesel. They are talking about adding the Duramax soon, but it will be "de-tuned" to allow the use of the 4L80E-HD instead of the Allison."

Thanks for the info TLS. :)

Based on that, with the '93 having the "jellybean" style body I don't think the glass from the older "square" body style '85 will interchange. :(